Cutting Sidewalk Expansion Joints

Page 1 of 2

So I tried to single-handedly replace a slab of sidewalk last week. Near killed my po' self, mixing and pouring, etc. Was so worried about thunderstorms etc, I forgot to cut/set the expansion joints. Forced 'em in as the 'crete was being finished. They stick up as much as an inch above slab-level.
How do you cut this stuff? It is Quikrete 1/2 In. x 4 In. x 5 Ft. Expansion Joint per Homey-Flogging-Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Sez it is made from resilient cane fiber. Looks like cardboard soaked in asphalt gunk. Tried cutting with utility knife, it sorta shreds.
Best case would be if I could pull 'em out without making a hideous mess. Then I could cut some wood joints to replace 'em. But they don't seem to wanna come out.
Mea Culpa: I blew this part of the job. Any help much appreciated.
Will
On Jun 16, 12:45 pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

I would think a handsaw made to cut wood should work, no? You can use the tip end of it, so that it is just about flat against the concrete. Or maybe use a drywall saw in similar fashion. If you need a finer blade, they have saws that are essentially a handle that you stick a hack saw blade into and they grip onto it. Leave a lot of blade out and you can lay it flat. Or one of those fancy new muti- function saws.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
There is a dovetail saw with an offset handle used for cutting door trim when laying laminate flooring. It would be perfect for that job. About $12 at Home Dept.
An undercut saw (or something rigged to function like one) would probably work. Do a Google search for "undercut saw".

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053

Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you use.

That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ... I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the blade ... Who knows? Might work.
Will
On Jun 16, 11:32pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
com> wrote:

Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles. Saw patiently.
jamesgangnc wrote:

I'd buy a package of cheap sawzall blades at HF, and use those. If you don't have a sawzall, the same blades fit most manual drywall saws. (Did a real Huh? when I realized that one....)
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Get real long blades so they can flex to lie flat. Use the plastic from a cut up clorox bottle to protect the concrete under the end of the blade.

Tried several saw blades. The stuff shreds, jams the teeth, saw slows way down 'till ya clean out the teeth, takes too long.
I finally got it done by repeatedly wd-40-ing a utility knife blade, scoring repeatedly both sides, then using a serrated steak knife for the final slice. This, out in the hot, hot sun, with the damned red ants crawling all over the place. Super-PITA!!
Thx, Will
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Too bad we don't have a FAQ for this group- you coulda documented it all, and ensured your place in history.
(Hey, we all do dumb things sometimes- I'd say the DIY gods have punished you enough for your memory lapse on this one.)
Bet you won't forget to place the black strips first next time you pour concrete. :^)
--
aem sends...

I'd have 'em flawlessly layed out, cut, and placed before the first bag of premix was opened.
But I over-spec'd my capacity for the work. Will never, ever attempt such (alone) again. Pure foolishness on my part. Too damned old ...
Will
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote: (snip)

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one. I had big plans for this place when I moved in. Got a few of them done, mostly by writing checks. I think a lot of the remaining ones (paint, remove basement carpet, rebuild deck and replace half the siding, de-crap backyard tree-lines, etc) are gonna be the next owner's problem. No SWMBO to keep happy, and I am finding that the garish wallpaper doesn't bother me as much any more. :^/
--
aem, still healing up from not sure exactly what a couple of weeks ago,
sends....
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
A sharp thin bladed knife or even a handheld hacksaw blade should do it. If using the knife, you could just slice into both sides, then bend it back and forth to break it off. Then clean up the edge with a sharp 1/2" wood chisel.
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Will it burn out?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Will it burn out?
The part sticking out I mean. I'm thinking the concrete would act like a heat sink and let just the part sticking up burn.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Will it burn out?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj1/R-100318479/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
Will it burn out?
--

dadiOH
On Jun 16, 11:45am, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

The Harbor Freight multifunction tool. Users say it will do ANYTHING!
Red
Red wrote:

That probably would do this one.