The Grass Is Greener When You Don't Mow.

A painless method to reduce the human impact on the environment is to stop mowing grass.

In general, the only reason for mowing is appearance, and often, considering the location of the grass, the appearance can only be appreciated by a small number of people. Moreover, once people get accustomed to seeing uncut lawns, they may consider them preferable.

The mania about cutting grass has reached insanity. Many municipalities in the US have laws forcing people to mow their lawns, and people actually go to jail for not cutting their grass.

But my focus here will be the environmental impact.

The longer the grass, the more leaf area there is per land area. Therefore, uncut grass would be more efficient per unit land area at converting CO2 to oxygen =96 directly reducing the CO2 in the atmosphere.

Lawn mowers have highly polluting small engines. In one estimate, one hour of typical mower engine time is equivalent to an 100 mile trip in an average car

The EPA states mowing causes 5% of air pollution
. Reducing the use of these engines reduces pollution of many types.

Most mowing is in urban areas, where pollution is the worst and where most people breathe.

The habitat of many animals is disturbed by mowing.

It=92s also worth mentioning that numerous accidents, many serious, are caused directly or indirectly by mowing.

~{|) Nehmo (|}~

Reply to
Nehmo

Nehmo wrote: ...

Which (besides the unsightly g-awful mess it makes when left overgrown and untended) is precisely the "why" behind mowing ordinances to minimize vermin habitat...

--

Reply to
dpb

I drove by your house the other day. Very nice.

DerbyDad03

I've been trying for years for someone to pay me not to cut the grass and I would sell them carbon credits for it. Sad state of affairs that there are no takers.

Reply to
Frank

Could I occasionally brush-hog the yard? Otherwise it'll be a 2-acre thicket of glossy buckthorn in about 5 years.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I notice you're posting from Austin, which explains almost everything.

Those of us in the real world don't give a fig about the things that are of monumental importance to hippies.

Reply to
HeyBub

Some are people!

Oren

This seems interesting because illegal in most countries with Anglo- Saxon-type laws. (Habeas Corpus forbids detention without charge, and disobeying a bylaw is an offence but not a crime.)

In Canada, where bylaws require that grass be mowed, non-compliant lawns are mowed by the municipality (after warning notice) and the property owner billed for this service. (Payment is enforced by the same mechanisms that require payment of property taxes.)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Not really, as the lawns would still *exist* and still need pesticides and fertilizers in order to continue growing...

The fertilizers and pesticides have much more of an environmental impact than the actual mowing of the grass...

Wrong... Uncut grass is fine for wild areas and large fields, but lawns?

If someone like yourself is so concerned about saving the environment, rip up your lawn and replace it with gravel... Las Vegas pays residents to get rid of their lawns... Saves A LOT of water...

Care to provide a link to an example or several examples of these "laws" that impose jail time upon someone for failing to comply with a civil ordinance?

ROFL... Are you serious?

A lawn is not a "healthy plant system" at all... Your theory only applies to healthy plant systems, not ones that depend on people to provide water, fertilizer and pesticides to ensure ideal growing conditions...

Want to have an environmental impact, search out information about organic lawn care and compost tea... Healthy grass has a DEEP root system that helps make the grass more hearty... Most lawns only ever get about 1.5" of root depth..

Reply to
Evan

Unmowed laws allow the tall weeds to survive, some are classified as noxious.

Is this your opinion or a tested fact. My experience has shown that a dense short lawn becomes a sparse tall lawn, with less stems per square area the result is less plants per square area, there may be more but may be less leaf area.

Very generic statement, based on an estimate to prove a point. The worst mowers are the 2 cycle engines, some are good others not so good, this is proof of nothing.

Others love short grass, particularly the birds that seek ground insects.

Reply to
EXT

It is the water district that pays for removal of lawns. I took 2/3 of my lawn out and they sent me a check. Just followed the rules, etc.

I now only have about 300 s.f. of turf for my African hound dog to use. It's been a very successful program.

..."Upgrade existing grass to water-smart landscaping and receive a rebate of up to $1.50 per square foot of grass converted to xeriscape."

Oren

If I don't mow for a while, I check for rabbits before mowing, and scare them away until I'm done.

If I don't mow wicked witch of the HOA complains.

Reply to
mm

I live in the middle of Phoenix and have clover lawns that I cut with a hand push mower three days a week. Some of my neighbors use sheep, goats, or lamas for their lawns. How are we doing?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Many laws are environmentally unfriendly as this one is.

Reply to
LSMFT

Of course you can go to jail in the US for not mowing your grass. There are not just bylaws in some HOA areas, but also actual municipal codes in many cases. Just try letting your yard get overgrown in clear violation thereof, get hauled into municipal court, get fined and ordered to rectify it, then refuse to pay the fine and remedy it. See what happens. You can in fact face jail time.

Reply to
trader4

Lamas smoke grass; Llamas eat grass.

Reply to
Pavel314

I have to remember that one next time the "Land of the free" agument returns...LOL

Reply to
Josepi

.

Can you offer a citation for someone who has, in fact, done jail time for not mowing their lawn? AFAIK, municipalities are limited to having the work done and billing the homeowner. If the bill isn't paid it's the same as not paying taxes; the land can be sold at auction.

Reply to
keith

As ridiculous as not allowing clothes lines for drying clothes!

Reply to
terry

Who wants to see the neighbour, in his binoculars, beating off behind his venetian blinds everytime Sally Seductrice hangs out her frillies?

Reply to
Josepi