tiling over expansion joints

Greetings,

I'm planning to tile a patio (roughly 400 sq. ft.) in which there are the obligatory expansion joints every 8'. I'm using 17'' x 17'' tiles so some tiles will be crossing these joints. Is there any way to do this without these tiles eventually cracking? I've come up with some ideas, but I'm not really sure cracking will be an issue as the concrete is covered and remains roughly the same temperature all year long:

Possibilities:

  • don't worry about it -- cracking won't be an issue

  • cut the tiles to make sure none crosses a joint

  • there's an orange mesh, whose name I forget, which can be laid down first causing the whole floor to float.

I'd like to avoid the last option because it's rather expensive.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

--kyle

Reply to
kyle york

you have to use an antifracture membrane of some sort, or tile over it then run a diamond saw down the expansion slot. the slabs are going to move. your tiles and grout won't.

Reply to
charlie