Concrete expansion joints

The(asphault) concrete expansion joint rotts away about every 3 yrs.

The gap is about 2 1/2 inches wide double drive, I am thinking of removeing it and filling it with that spray can foam they use to seal leaks around windows and doors to drafts out.

What do ya think?

Thanks Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Bad idea..I almost almost guarantee you that polyurethane foam won't last more than one season in any climate.

Suggest fill it about 1/2 the way up with sand and then top seal it with someting that's designed specifically for the purpose--find some kinda rubbery shit that will expand / contract with the season but yet still keeps water from getting in there, and that is also relatively stable to sunlight.

I been out of pavements for near to 30 years now, but some things will never change......

What you DONT want is to ever have any situation where water is getting under your concrete and is washing the base supporting the underneath of it away.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

As of 4-5 years ago one version of this product was called "DecoSeal". Sealing expansion joints around a swimming pool was a common use of this material. It was (is ?) a two part compound, mixed just prior to use. The stuff flows pretty well, and in fact that can be a problem if the joints that you are sealing have much of a slope. Once it cures it is very durable! If you do find it, be sure to mix thoroughly just as the instructions state.

Reply to
George Pontis