cutting in reverse

Page 8 of 8
On Sat, 21 May 2016 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't have a riding mower, but I'm sure they do that electrically, with a switch that either closes or opens when you put it in reverse.
1) Check out the gear shift lever and the transmission until you find the switch. Any electric wire around them is probably there for this purpose. The way push mower engines were stopped in the ones I've seen is to short the primary or secondary of the magneto, so I'd guess that the switch closes in order to stop the engine, so just pull one of the wires off the switch, and that won't happen anymore.
If after you do that, the engine won't start at all, that implies that the switch opens to stop the engine, so if so, bypass the switch**. Cut a short piece of stranded wire or thin solid wire, strip each end, and you should be able to pull off each wire on the switch and then push it back on with some of that short wire stuck between the two parts of the connector. It only takes a couple strands.
**But the better way, once you find the switch, if paragraph 1 doesn't work, esp. if the engine won't start at all, is to use an ohmmeter (or I suppose a testlight if it's one with a battery inside that lights when its two leads are touched to each other) to see whether the switch really opens or closes when you're in reverse. A big opportunity to get mixed up, so maybe take notes.
On my push mower there was a switch that stopped the engine if I let go of the handlebar, so I wrapped a wire-tie around the handlebar and the bail, the lever that had to be closed. And on the convertible there was a more complicated circuit to keep me from raising or lowering the top when the car was going more than 3mph. That used a relay that was hidden behind a cover in the far corner of the trunk, but I cut the wire and now it works fine.
Just don't forget about this when your friend brings his grandchild over.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

It would help to know what mower you have. Mine has a switch position that bypasses the motor stop, one I used to have had a push button to keep the blades running and motor on while in reverse.
As others said, there is a switch somewhere the linkage activates when you put the mower in reverse.
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 12:58:28 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

k up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. H ow can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb
It might help if you told us what model, but here are three ways to do it on Craftsman mowers:
This guy does it just by unplugging one connector:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkILPSLwCE

This guy says you can just bend the lever that shuts down the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vtakR_Dp-I

This is how it's done on a zero turn Craftsman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
swGLM0IGY