cutting in reverse

Page 1 of 8
When I`m using the riding mower and put it in reverse with the blades engag ed the engine stop. It`s a real pain to disengage the blades and then back up. There are not any kids or pets in the area so everything is clear. How can I correct this problem? Thanks for any advice Herb
On Sat, 21 May 2016 09:58:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you need to stop the engine, or just stop forward motion?
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 1:16:01 PM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to stop anything. His annoyance is the opposite, if he doesn't disengage the blades, when he tries to back up, the engine shuts off.
On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:18:13 -0400, burfordTjustice

Exactly.

Government mandated rules are to protect the dumbest among us.
I remember my old neighbor, Tony, trying to clear under his mower while it was running. He got cut pretty badly.
On 5/21/2016 1:20 PM, Frank wrote:

Anecdotal story of a couple fellows, had a bit too much beer. One noticed the hedge needed to be trimmed down. But, no hedge trimmers to be found. Someone suggested just have four guys pick up the walk behind mower. Carry it along over the hedge, to trim the hedge down.
Please do not try this under any circumstances.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

=====================================>

With enough alcohol, many things make complete sense that the rest of us dry folk would never do. This is one such. The rest of the anecdote (warning to those of us who are sensetive and have good imaginations!) is that many fingers were lost at that moment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Take off the wheels and bolt 2 2x4s on - one on each side- and a rotary mower can be a relativel effective and safe way to cut a hedge - if both guys wear full face sheilds.
Without modifications - definitely NOT.
On 5/21/2016 8:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've found that if you string enough "if" in a row, some thing gets forgotten, in the process.
But, yes, that might possibly be done safely.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

dedicated hedge mower - an old LawnBoy would be a good choice.
On Sun, 22 May 2016 09:31:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I drove past a business to day that had at least 20 cranes parked. I'm sure woudln't miss one if an affable employee brought it home for the weekend.
Stormin Mormon:
From UK - Be careful, Onslow!! lmao!
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article433100.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200/image-3-for-man-trims-hedge-with-ride-on-lawnmower-gallery-427505709.jpg
On Sat, 21 May 2016 13:39:56 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

New Zealand, actually.

A bit better,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E
or the same redneck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTzBVhlurE
A guy (Joe Taylor) in Philomath, Ore trims his hedge with a 24" rotary mower strapped to the bucket of his Kuboto loader tractor -up to 12 feet in height.(it was in Farm Show magazine this month)
On Sat, 21 May 2016 17:13:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

LOL. It seems to work. When my bushes got higher than my head, trimming them was much harder. I should try this.

Reordered:

Wow. His mower didn't break as easily as he thought it would. 3 tries (or more?)
On 5/21/2016 5:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The first one is interesting. I notice he's standing right in front of the discharge opening.
The second one shows good upper body strength. He's got to be a hoot at bar fights, throwing the bouncer out the front window.
When there's a redneck, there's a way.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/21/2016 6:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

OK. That's just stupid. Some rednecks give rednecks a bad name!
--
Maggie

On 5/21/2016 5:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

In my small engine class, we were told that four stroke mowers can't be tilted very much, they have oil circulation problems when they are off level.
Not sure if centrifugal force is an issue. Most likely yes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

With my previous car, and maybe the one before that, I knew when I went around the corrner 3 corners before my house, and the oil light went on, that I needed to add oil. So I agree, the answer is yes.
I didn't think I was going so fast, but it was the only corner in the city where that happened. I guess I knew from thousands of times that there were no pedestrians, no driveways, and never anything I could hit.

Looks safer than a yard full of drunks with a walk behind mower.
--
.
Christopher A. Young