Curtains

Bought new curtains and rods. Now I get to figure out how to get them up level. How do you do it without having to draw a line all the way across. I have vaulted ceilings so I cannot measure from the ceiling.

Reply to
Dymphna

measure from the floor?

a cheap laser level from a big box store makes it easy.

Reply to
charlie

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

ote in message

I would recommend you mount them relative to the window frame.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Agreed if you spend most of the time seeing them when they're open. Or use the ceiling / any trim above as a reference if you're going to see them most of the time when they're closed.

Of course in an ideal world the top of the window frame runs parallel to the ceiling, but strange things can happen :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Measure from the floor or extend a line from the top of the window and measure from that.

Reply to
norminn

How wide are the rods?

DAGS for a water level, you can make yourself if the window is really wide..

Reply to
Oren

Curtains like finish trim are not installed "level". They are installed to please the eye.

In your case, measuring up from the floor is the way to go. But check and make sure that the top of the window trim is the same distance from the floor before you make any big holes unless your rod is well above it. :) Standard deviation of +- 1/4" won't matter to most folks.

Should you have to make a hard choice, everyone sees the rod and the top of the casing. Errors at the floor level are seen less whether it be to long or to short.

Might be something at the site in my sig or at lexkyweb.com/windows to help you.

Reply to
Colbyt

Dymphna wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.travel.com:

Put it up so it looks right. I've put them up level, looked, then moved them.

Reply to
Red Green

wrote:

and rods. Now I get to figure out how to get them

it without having to draw a line all the way

so I cannot measure from the ceiling.

a water level, you can make yourself if the window is really

The one for the kitchen is small - about 1/2" and about 45" long

For the living room is about 1 1/2" and 102" long

Reply to
Dymphna

Span that distance with a six foot level and make a couple of tic marks for the fasteners, easy.

A string level (spirit/line level) ought to get you in the bark park. The line needs to be taunt, so have some help to read the bubble and hold the line. Again a couple of tic marks.

*A line level is a level designed to hang on a builders string line. The body of the level incorporates small hooks to allow it to attach and hang from the string line. The body is lightweight, so as not to weigh down the string line, it is also small in size as the string line in effect becomes the body; when the level is hung in the center of the string, each leg of the string line extends the levels plane.

Oren

Being precisely level should not be the main concern in hanging a curtain rod. The rod should be parallel to the top of the window, since both are visible usually when the curtain is open. If the window trim is a bit off level, the difference might (unusual) be noticeable. I use a straight edge across the top of the frame, make a mark at the right distance out and then measure up the desired distance. Ideally, the bracket for large curtains/drapes should fasten to a stud, and that is usually right next to the frame of the window.

Depending on the width of the curtain, you might choose different distances from the side of the window to mount the brackets...curtains can "stack" either in front of the window when open or the can stack in front of wall, leaving the entire window clear.

Reply to
norminn

What he says, assuming the floors are level and the windows are the same height all around the room

Reply to
hrhofmann

If floors are out of level sufficient to see a difference along the bottom of the drapes, the greater problem is not hanging the drapes! Good grief! Same with the window .. if the frame is not level and plumb, it is either noticeable or not sufficiently so when compared with the drapes. Since the rod and top of the window are close to each other and both are visible when the drapes are open, it is the most likely to be noticed if both are not parallel to each other.

If windows are of different heights, on can either size the drapes to the window or make all drapes the same length so they look uniform when the drapes are closed....not always attractive if the drapes are open most of the time.

Reply to
norminn

Floor-length curtains or short ones for normal windows? If floor-length, before you start, lay a curtain out on the floor, put one of the hanging hooks in the pocket, and measure from the hanging hook to the hem, to determine how far above the floor you need to be. The dimensions on the package can be misleading. SWMBO won't tolerate a big gap, or the curtain sweeping the floor. BTDT, and it is a pain to re-hang the rod or re-hem the curtain. Not a bad idea to do this even for short curtains, to make sure they cover all the trim at the bottom of the window.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Thanks everyone - I got 3 of them up. Need to paint that last wall before putting the last one up.

Reply to
Dymphna

What was your solutions?

Reply to
Oren

I used the old ones that were up as a guild - Then there is an adjustment with a screw to make them level. I should have looked closer.

Reply to
Dymphna