Craftsman Garage Door Opener

I have a craftsman garage door opener, my motor is running and dosen't seem to be binding. My chain is not turning nor the sprocket either. I unlock the door and lifted the door up manually and it I lifted it up with no resistance. I was in touch with the dealer because it wasn't going when I need it to so we adjusted it over the phone. Do you think I need service? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
On 3 Mar 2007 19:41:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Maybe there is some part between the chain and sprocket on the one hand, and the motor on the other, that is broken. An intermediate gear? A gear that is no longer tight to a shaft? A belt?

??
mm Wrote:

I have the same problem with my craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener. I unlatched it and manually open the door. I have attempted to open and close the door numerous times, but the chain even though it is on the sproket. It only hums loudly, but will not rotate. It seems as the though it's locked up. Any suggestions before I go purchase another unit which costs around $130 and probably about an 1 hour or more to unistall and reinstall a new unit.
--
arm

You said in your post that you "adjusted it over the phone". Did this fix the problem?

WTF does "adjusted it over the phone" mean?
Your lack of written expressive skill speak volumes about how bad our public education system has become over the last 40 years.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Jeff,
What is really making you so angry to make you act out like you did?
I perfectly understood the expression "adjusted it over the phone". It meant that the customer was walked through the process using a phone.
Maybe "walked" was a poor analogy since no one was literally walking.
Okay, I'll try again: The user received verbal instructions on how to adjust the door opener while communicating with a telephone.
Does that help?
Don't be too hard on him, Julie. Check out his grammar and then just pity him.....
BTW Jeff, I quoted the original post. How about you send your posts appropriately?

Julie wrote:

Not really Julie.
Can you state definitively from the OP's words whether he's saying he still HAS a problem or that he HAD a problem which was solved via a phone conversation.
And if it's the latter, why is he asking for advice on whether he needs service?
Since you ask why I'm angry, I'll tell you. It's because I'm disgusted at seeing how our public educational systems are graduating fewer literate students every year and how left wingers (which I suspect may number you in their ranks) are willing to take their side and say "That's OK, as long as think we can understand what you are trying to tell us, we'll accept that."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

"My chain is not turning nor the sprocket either."
Notice the use of current tense. Thus the problem still exists.

Sounds like what happened to my Craftsman opener. There are nylon gears in the motor head. My Craftsman opener was 20 years old when I had to change the drive gear out due to wear. I don't know what model you have, but you can probably get the repair kit from the Sears Parts or Repair facilities, where I got mine. My kit contained a drive gear, a worm drive, bushings, E-rings, and other parts to recondition the whole drive, and good illustrated instructions. I only changed the one gear, so I kept the other 18 or so parts. I have the box right here.
65409 41A2817 Drive Gear & Worm Set Contents made in the U.S.A. MFG Code 125512
I paid $22.72 for the kit incl. tax.
--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY

Rich wrote:

Yep. The exact same part number. $29.32 with the $7.50 shipping charge, tho.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY