Cordless Tools - Another SUCKER PRODUCT

Page 2 of 5

There goes all the MP3 players and cell phones; down the trail with incandescent light bulbs.

Or would create more because of the larger cases needed.

Already done. There are only a few plugs and they *are* standardized.

You do know that there are *many* different batteries for cars. They aren't interchangeable.

...and no one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 12, 4:47 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

cases and connections would be standarized, with just a few case styles, all easily taking new cells with nothing more than a screwdriver.
there are a limited number of car battery group numbers. most can be bought from sears or your local store.
not propietory only available from the car manufacturer at 5 times the price.
wall worts need more standarizations just a few voltages, perhaps all AC add bridge rectifier to device....
Add pictures here
βœ–

Right. No innovation allowed. Nice.

So you admit that your position was a lie?

Most batteries will never be replaced.

No, they really don't. ...and your solution is the *worst* of all possibilities! What a waste...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/12/2011 4:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Even to the point of being silly. I went to get a battery from a local autoparts place and grabbed the group type I wanted. Fortunately the counter guy asked what vehicle it was for and he said "take it back and get the -RP version". Turns out that the car manufacturer used a standard form factor battery only with the posts reversed. So positive was where negative should be and vice versa. That would have cost me a return trip.

It is certainly working for cell phones. Up until they were required to standardize on using micro USB as the connector every cell phone had a different power cord. I have thrown away dozens of cell phone power cords and cigarette lighter adapters and probably have a dozen more useless ones in the drawer because they were all different. It doesn't help with the battery but now at least all power cords are interchangeable.
Add pictures here
βœ–

So, I'll add you to the list of people telling Halliburton that he's wrong.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 06/12/2011 05:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Maybe he was just saying that innovation is still possible even in the presence of standards.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Innovation? Car starter batteries? You're kiddin' right?

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 06/14/2011 08:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

But who would think of swapping the positions of the negative and positive terminals? That is thinking outside the box.

Add pictures here
βœ–

because of the heavy transformer that would be needed to change 120VAC to the lower voltage/higher DC current that the tools use. For a switcher,it would have to regulate from no-load to full-load,and would be of considerable size.

alkalines don't have the mAH capacity that rechargeables of the same physical size have.

because the drills use high currents,the cells need to be strapped or soldered together. you -can- buy new cells with tabs and solder them yourself. it's not easy.

rechargeables are recyclable,and many stores accept the dead packs. Radio Shack for one.You can also take a dead pack to a local battery rebuilder and have new cells installed for less than what a new pack would cost.

Wall-warts are too underpowered to run a power tool directly. (at least a -decent- power tool.) plus,you get larger power losses with the high currents at low voltage,over a longer cable from the WW to the tool. you end up needing a heavier cable,just like auto jumper cables.

Some are the same physical size and rating,but the pos and neg posts are reversed in position(and come with an R suffix). My Sentra is like that. the battery cables won't reach to accept the standard,more common battery of it's size.

BTW,I'm modifying my old Black and Decker VersaPak batteries to use a single Li-ion 18650 cell,doubling it's mAH capacity and lighter in weight,and WAY less self-discharge. I had to use a Dremel to cut off the tail end of the metal can,the end that's under the plastic cap.
and it's cheaper than replacing the NiCd cells with new ones or NiMH cells.
There's a page on Instructables.com ,if anyone is interested. http://www.instructables.com/id/Black-amp-Decker-Versapak-upgrade-to-Li - ion/
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 06/12/2011 07:18 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Thanks for pointing out some relevant facts.
Sorry I wasn't clear: I meant they should use OTS rechargeables.

Then they could just standardize the strapped assemblies of cells on the insides of the packs so a user could swap out the whole assembly at once.
After all, if you open up a big 6V lantern battery, you find 8 "D" cells hooked together.
Add pictures here
βœ–

8 times 1.5V = 12V - I think you meant 4.
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 06/13/2011 05:49 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Check it yourself. You wouldn't even have to cut one open. You can just look up the dimensions of the standard packs.
I was a bit surprised myself to find eight. There are two series circuits of four cells each, the two circuits in parallel. Or is it four parallel circuits of two cells each, in series? The latter, I expect.
Anyway, a lantern pack is eight D cells arranged to give six volts at double the amperage of four cells.
Add pictures here
βœ–

<stuff snipped>

cells
expect.
That's definitely not what *I* saw when I took one apart many moons ago. Not this guy's experience, either:
http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Stories/006.2/index.html
This cutaway view shows four, too
http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/No6_529Opnss.jpg
Are you sure you weren't cutting up a 12V lantern battery?
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 06/14/2011 06:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Uh oh. You are right. I must have imagined cutting one open. Actually the dimensions don't match. But if they did, you could build a 6V lantern battery out of 8 cells as I described. :-)
Thank you for the kind correction.
Anyway the cordless tool makers could standardize the packs so that the rechargeable battery assemblies could be bought off the shelf and swapped in and out and easily recycled.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<stuff snipped>

That's OK. I misplaced an entire neighborhood in NYC that I traveled through for four years in a previous post. I was told that combining cells in parallel is a no-no. I can't recall why but I can say I can't recall ever seeing it done that way. Maybe the experts here know.

Did you see the Scopes piece about the 32 AA batteries inside hoax:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/humor/batteryhack.asp

Yes. And the Pope could sell off the riches of the Vatican to feed the poor and pay off molested altar boys instead of letting dioceses take the bankruptcy route. He could also choose to wear simple robes and walk in the shoes of the original fisherman, Jesus Christ.
Don't hold your breath on either that or standardized drill packs happening any time soon! (-:
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Green wrote:

the cells will drain trying to charge the other ones. no 2 cells are at the same charge amount, so the battery bank would be dead pretty quickly.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:19:07 -0400, "Robert Green"

It depends on the cells. It's very common to parallel Li type cells. Car batteries are often paralleled, too. A diode is used to isolate them, though.

Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

I have a beard trimmer that uses 3 AA cells in parallel.

One could design adapters for each power tool brand to accept a "standardized" battery pack,and sell the adapters,"standardized" battery packs,and smart charger. He could even make his "standardized" battery packs with easily replaceable cells.(and offer those for sale too)
if there's a market for it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
βœ–
On 06/12/2011 07:18 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I think you mean alkalines don't have current/power ratings as high as rechargeables. I think alkalines actually have higher mAH ratings than for instance NiCd's. See my reply to Smitty Two.

Add pictures here
βœ–

the higher self-discharge of both NiCd and NiMH precludes their use in low drain or seldom-used apps. they may self-drain faster than the load drains them.
altough I noticed today at Wal-Mart that there are new compact power drivers offered that use AA alkalines....??? maybe somebody wants to prop up dropping alkaline sales.
I've also come to distrust AA and AAA alkalines just because of their frequent leakage of electrolyte. Brands I used to trust have recently leaked in a very short time after purchase,despite their "use-by" package dating.
Some stuff is just not replaceable.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik