cordless tools

Page 2 of 2
wrote in message

IMO,battery life is related to "use it or lose it",and not overcharging.(simple chargers,not 'smart chargers')
NiCds like to be used,not stored. NiMh,I'm not sure about,I don't have any experience with them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
wrote in message

is
I have only two DeWalt drills, one 12V 90 degree drill, and a corded 1/2 chuck one. Neither get used much. My Bosch 18V and older Milwaukee 18 V get worked out almost daily, and have only had to replace one of the Milwaukee batts out of 4. One of my guys bought a Hitachi 14V kit, that was basically a drill, case, and a light for $70 at Lowes...its alright for running sheetmetal screws and such, but it takes forever to charge, and the charger weighs as much as my Miwaukee drill with the battery attached. I am kinda sold on the Bosch line right now, IF I had to go buy another cordless. The fact that they can be dropped from a pretty good distance and still keep on going is a plus.
The Panasonics...I never had one, but wanted the Shark model that had the bit that could be moved from side to side, top to bottom of the axis so that you could get into some tight spots...Johnstone used to carry it, but never could justify the $300 or so that it was.
Cordless are best for the pros but typical homeowners who only occasionally use them are still better off with the plug-ins, more power, cheaper, last forever and are always ready to go.
wrote in message

posted for all of us...

I have some issues with the yellow stuff too, my gray stuff seem to be ok so far. Big Red is now red communist (Milwaukee Techtronics) Hong Kong company ITT. I think it is still manufactured in the US for the time being. The website shows an impressive 28V cordless claimed to be lighter and last twice as long as the 18V models. Checkout the cordless bandsaw! But they forgot the chainsaw!
http://www.ttigroup.com/fileLibrary/R050113b.pdf
Sure GerryAtric I wonder why the Makita 9.6 stick pack introduced in 80? Units are still sold and used today by pros, Because they work, I have 2 one purchased in 86 with original packs that still work. If you buy a tool be smart enough to stay in the line and same pack size, who wants to lug around a generator and cord everywhere.
It is a problem.
My solution was to break open a battery pack when it failed and use a digital voltmeter to find the bad battery. Out of 10 cells, only one was defective so I replaced it, soldering in the replacement. Like new again.
They sell replacement cells, but you can just as easily salvage one of your 'spent' packs and use those batteries on all of your other tools.
It ain't purty, but it sure is stout.
PJ

Fact is, we didn't ask you. Many of us like the cordless drill in spite of the cost. I have two drills, circular saw, screwdriver.

I have a set of rechargable Black & Deckers (from back when they weren't crap) that the batteries have finally given up the ghost. In my case the newer stuff is so much more powerful and can do a lot more so I'm scrapping the old stuff completely. Regardless of that the majority of my tools are, and will remain, of the corded variety.
Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

True, but do we really need automatic transmissions, power steering, and radios in our cars? Some of us are willing to pay for the extras.

Sure, and I'll pay extra for a corded tool, one that's pretty much always ready go, and won't quit when the job is half done and is nice and light... Fortunately, they're usually cheaper. :)
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC\'d posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two devitations to get cool.

I agree!
Even for minor drilling jobs at my bench (where there are plenty of outlets) or around the house (again many outlets), I find it easier to just use the cordless.
No extension chords, and no chord to tangle/untangle and just get in the way.
Blue wrote:

My trusty old Sears 3/8" works perfectly and has the power to drill anything within reason. Just get out the 100' electric cord and have at it.
Bought two HD 12V drills, one with a keyed chuck and one with a keyless chuck for $12 and $15. Freedom! sure they aren't as powerful as a corded model, but I ain't dragging a long cord around. And talk about not changing bits. Put a drill in one and drive screws with the other. Most fun I've had since I switched my commuter car from a Chrysler to a Dodge Colt. Just watch battery voltage to determine when to charge and never overcharge.