Cooper pipe bending limits

Most likely "soft copper". "K" copper designates the thickness.

Storm> Most likely "K copper".

Reply to
Bob F

You can bend soft copper as long as it doesn't kink. It is not code to heat hard copper to get it to bend, as I understand it, and it won't bend well without that.

Reply to
Bob F

How do you know it was correct? The OP omitted any details such as if soft or hard copper tube was being used.

Reply to
George

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:02:02 -0800, "Steve B" wrote Re Re: Cooper pipe bending limits:

Well put.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Han wrote in news:Xns9D1B4F00DF3C4ikkezelf@

207.246.207.167:

None of us realize the truth: there is no copper pipe...

Reply to
Zootal

"John Grabowski" wrote in news:4b72b2bb$0$22519$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Is there a "proper" bender for copper pipe? I have a bender made for 3/4 conduit, can that be used to bend copper?

Reply to
Zootal

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hku90j$5as$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

There are a few places where it has to snake around a bit. Maybe a 10 degree bend here, maybe 5 degrees there. Not much, but I don't know what is "too much". If bending is evil, I can simply use some 135 degree "elbows" (what do you call the 135 degree bent couplers?) to make the necessary bends. I bit more extra work, but I'm happy to do that instead of stressing the pipe.

I'm using thicker stuff that is "approved" for being used behind walls, I forget the letter designation that goes with it.

My bender is for 3/4 conduit - can that be used with 3/4 and 1/2 copper?

In one place I have two hot water connections and three for cold water. Whoever did this ran five 1/2 pipes up through the floor (and my girls complain about what happens to the shower water temp everytime someone flushes the toilet). I see no reason not to run a set of hot/cold 3/4 pipes up through the floor (two pipes going up, not five) and then tee off as needed once I get where I'm going. Simpler, cleaner, uses less pipe.

Reply to
Zootal

Joe wrote in news:a9708303-e56b-490b-a562-bd8fc3d45bf2 @c4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Sharkbites cost WAY too much, so much that they offset the high cost of the copper, and I don't know of any other way to make the connections (IANAP). I don't trust them not to leak at some time in the future. I'm old fashioned and want metal - solid metal - in my walls. Something soldered together that will outlast the life of this old house :-)

Reply to
Zootal

You're catching on, Caesar! Most just don't know dookie, so have to post something they think is funny in their impaired state of mind. There are lots here who think because they "fix" things at home that they do it right, but when you get to really talking to them about it, you realize that they are just a bunch of baling wire and bubble gum repairmen who don't even know how to properly bend a copper tube.

It may also be added that tubing bending can be improved by the use of filler sand and pressurization to keep the outer walls pushing out. Of course, this is only offered in the advance copper tubing bending course. I would suggest to the OP and whoever else wants to bend copper to invest in a good bender, or pick one up used whenever they see one. Or even make a simple one. It makes for a much better job, and reduces failure rates.

Definitely not for the baling wire and bubble gum brigade.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Stepfann King wrote in news:00d9584b$0$12240$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

What radius?

Reply to
Zootal

Caesar Romano wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

limits:

water, ~60psi.

risk of

the

cause

Naawww...this newsgroups is awesome. It is easily one of the most polite and informative groups out there. Drop in on some of the alt.windows... groups. It is amazing how many adolescent children with absolutely no control over their mouths are ranting and raving over usenet. I used to think that I'd slap my kids silly if I caught them behaving like that. Now it's more like I'd shoot my kids if I saw them behaving like that...

Reply to
Zootal

Zootal wrote in news:Xns9D1B586C89AA9nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131:

You'd call it "tube"? That's semantics, but it may be officially true.

Reply to
Han

Zootal wrote in news:Xns9D1B5A3F18DD4nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131:

We got that fixed with a Delta faucet that automagically adjusts the hot & cold flows if the pressure changes. Look into that, or change the supply lines to the toilet to 1/8" ID .

Reply to
Han

I do more HVAC and refrigeration work than plumbing so the pipe I have on hand is refrigeration tubing. In order to get me to do any plumbing work, you have to point a gun at me or torture me by the crinkling a stack of hundred dollar bills in front of me ploy.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

David Nebenzahl wrote the following:

No, thats the compass heading of the pipes.

Reply to
willshak

Did you even consider using PEX tubing for your plumbing or is copper the only plumbing material you've had experience with?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Sharkbites have nothing to do with PEX.

Reply to
Pete C.

I do whatever work I need to do, in the interest of knowing the job was done correctly, as well as being more self sufficient and saving a few bucks. If it gives me an excuse to buy new tools, even better.

Reply to
Pete C.

Let me say that I do not know. I cannot give you a definite answer, but the variables are: diameter of the tubing; copper alloy you want to bend; if you fill the copper with sand or not; if you pressurize it or not; temperature of the copper; type of bender; whether it is a plain one die bender or one with a mandrel (two piece); how fast you make the bend; and a couple of other things.

I'd Google and get some copper suppliers and people who really do this a lot, and use their answers.

For most home repair apps, a simple bender is better than no bender. But the technique will affect the results greatly.

Lastly, how critical of an application is this? IIRC, you did say it was for 60 # water line. Make your radii as big as you can, even if it means adjusting elsewhere for the bend. If you just really have to have a tight

90, buy a compression fitting or sweat a 90 on there.

Get some scrap and play with it. Realize the scrap may not have the same properties as new, but it will give you an idea about the failure points. I'd do it in a warm room, and not a cold garage, or outside in the snow. Use a heat lamp or similar to warm the copper before bending.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It's a better idea. They're called 45-degree ells.

Reply to
Doug Miller