Cooper pipe bending limits

Page 2 of 4

Heck, I learn something new every day or I consider the day wasted.
But I have owner contracted a 3,000 sf house, remodeled five, own four, and currently maintain two. Was a contractor for nine years.
I've been around the block so many times, I'm still dizzy.
Steve

water, ~60psi.

risk of

the
cause
Naawww...this newsgroups is awesome. It is easily one of the most polite and informative groups out there. Drop in on some of the alt.windows... groups. It is amazing how many adolescent children with absolutely no control over their mouths are ranting and raving over usenet. I used to think that I'd slap my kids silly if I caught them behaving like that. Now it's more like I'd shoot my kids if I saw them behaving like that...
On 2/10/2010 2:53 AM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

Can one safely use an EMT bender on copper pipe? My guess is "no", but don't know for sure.

- a Usenet "apology"
Copper pipe comes in hardness grades. K, L, and M. K copper (it's been years since I needed to know this) is soft, and comes on rolls. L, and M are rigid and should not be bent if possible.
Of course, the goal is to bend it as little as possible.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a tendency to use refrigeration grade soft copper for everything because I can bend it and form my own fittings with the tools I have. I rarely purchase couplings or elbows since I can make my own.
TDD
I've done that. Someone ran 3/8 soft copper under my trailer, for the water line. The copper rubbed through at some point, and started spraying. Find out that 1/2 OD refrigeration works well. Silver braze works, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

K, L and M are wall thickness grades (like sch. 80, 40, 20) and have nothing to do with hardness. Both soft copper and hard copper are available in the different grades.
Refrigeration grade tubing is yet another thing, and mostly refers to the fact that the tubing has been cleaned and capped to keep out contamination that could damage refrigeration equipment with small orifices, etc. Plumbing grade tubing isn't cleaned and capped since water pipes can be readily flushed of impurities. Refrigeration grade tubing is also specified by it's outside diameter vs. plumbing which is specified by nominal ID.
Pete C. wrote:

I do more HVAC and refrigeration work than plumbing so the pipe I have on hand is refrigeration tubing. In order to get me to do any plumbing work, you have to point a gun at me or torture me by the crinkling a stack of hundred dollar bills in front of me ploy.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I do whatever work I need to do, in the interest of knowing the job was done correctly, as well as being more self sufficient and saving a few bucks. If it gives me an excuse to buy new tools, even better.
Pete C. wrote:

I have a hard time understanding modern man. There was a time in this great country of ours when people were self-sufficient. Everyone knew how to obtain food in one form or another, take care of their dwellings and transportation and they never stood in line for anything. Technology has bounded forward but that doesn't mean a single person can't deal with most of it. I was talking to a doctor friend the other day when I remarked that I can understand and repair just about anything except the human female. *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I can understand them, however it turns out that isn't of much value as they can't be repaired.

nor should they be.

Depends on how badly they are broken. Some are just plain FUBARed. Others have maybe some blemishes that can be lived with.
Zootal wrote:

Ya gotta love em anyway. One of my grownup girlfriends voted for Bill Clinton because he was pretty, she didn't like the way the other guy looked. Besides, fixing women would destroy any of the limitless entertainment value they possess. My only problem is that I can't tolerate the crazy ones because I refuse to be abusive. Some people live for conflict, it excites them. Not me, I like peace and quiet.
TDD

Question for you: why do you think you *need* to bend it?

Maybe it was a rhetorical question?
<smirk>
--
Best regards
Han

None of us realize the truth: there is no copper pipe...

You'd call it "tube"? That's semantics, but it may be officially true.
--
Best regards
Han

Define "is". - Bill Clinton -

There are a few places where it has to snake around a bit. Maybe a 10 degree bend here, maybe 5 degrees there. Not much, but I don't know what is "too much". If bending is evil, I can simply use some 135 degree "elbows" (what do you call the 135 degree bent couplers?) to make the necessary bends. I bit more extra work, but I'm happy to do that instead of stressing the pipe.
I'm using thicker stuff that is "approved" for being used behind walls, I forget the letter designation that goes with it.
My bender is for 3/4 conduit - can that be used with 3/4 and 1/2 copper?
In one place I have two hot water connections and three for cold water. Whoever did this ran five 1/2 pipes up through the floor (and my girls complain about what happens to the shower water temp everytime someone flushes the toilet). I see no reason not to run a set of hot/cold 3/4 pipes up through the floor (two pipes going up, not five) and then tee off as needed once I get where I'm going. Simpler, cleaner, uses less pipe.