Cheapest way to replace thermostat bulb locked at 65°F with more intelligence?

I have the "bubble" type of thermostat which stays at one temperature.

I like to bring the heat up to 65°F in the early evening and just before the kids wake; but otherwise I want it back down to 50°F while we're all sleeping.

Is there an inexpensive alternative to the bubble that can easily be substituted that will just do this time-based temperature program?

Reply to
Kat Rabun

Kat Rabun wrote the following:

Sure

willshak

I knew programmable thermostats existed, but are they pin-for-pin compatible with the simple bubble thermostats?

In other words, can I just remove the bubble thermostat from the wall somehow and plug in the programmable thermostat in its place?

Reply to
Kat Rabun

It doesn't "plug in", it has screw terminals. Make a note of what color wire goes on which terminal (they are lettered) and put them on the same terminals on the new thermostat.

Reply to
DT

Hi, New thermostat comes with intall. manual. Just don't buy El Cheapo.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I didn't realize it was that easy to substitute a smart thermostat for a dumb one (like how does it get its electricity?).

Do you have a recommended smart thermostat you're happy with?

Reply to
Kat Rabun

batteries

Reply to
chaniarts

My bubble thermostat has batteries? I've never changed them. Seems to me a thermostat should be wired to the wall. Aren't they?

This is all so confusing.

Reply to
Kat Rabun

No, your old thermostat does not have batteries. The bubble completes the circuit when the temp goes down and breaks the circuit when the temp goes up. The programmable thermostats need batteries for their lcd displays and memories.

Reply to
Rocinante

They can recharge via the voltage on the circuit they control as long as they don't have to run 100% of the time.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The first one I had did neither of those. It required an additional wire from the furnace (the 24V return wire, normally not connected).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It varies. Nowadays, most have such low power requirements, they simply use a battery such as a 9v. I have a setback thermostat on it's 3rd year on the same battery. Back in the 70's, my dad put in one that recharged itself, but had a mechanical timer. It frequently ran down and I ended up running an AC adapter to it to keep it charged.

Reply to
AZ Nomad