1/2" Copper water pipe - internal union?

Hey everyone,

Insalled a ceramic shower, with typical Moen faucet / shower head / foot wash (spout). I cut the lead pipe to the spout too short, and now it leaks out the back when the level is lifted to send water to the shower head.

To solve the proplem, I need to lengthen the lead pipe to the spout. I cannot use a normal external union, since it will be too thick to slide the spout back over.

I feat that I may have to knock out a couple tiles to get at the elbow of the lead pipe, remove the too-short lead and attach a new longer piece.

However, before I do that I'm wondering if there is such thing as an internal union that I could use to connect an extension?

Any other solutions?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

A short piece of 1/2" O/D tube should be a decent fit in 1/2" I/D pipe.

Reply to
Greg

Any reason why you can't remove it with an internal cam type pipe tool and thread in a new one? Just wondering...

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

[...]

you should be using copper or pvc pipe not lead :-) Eric

Reply to
Eric

It is Copper pipe. The "lead" would be pronounced "leed" thorughout the posting

Reply to
Peter

Its a shower, not drinking water, and no water will be sitting between uses.

Use a piece of copper tubing with the OD equal to the ID of the existing pipe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Peter, what these guys aren't telling you -- AC and Refrigeration uses exact diameter pipe, where water pipes are nominal sizes. So, a piece of half inch ACR tubing would work for an internal coupler.

Not sure I have any on hand, mostly I use 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 3/4, and 7/8.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Peter, Can you get to the back side of the valve? Easier to repair plaster/dry wall than break out tiles.

Reply to
Inspector D