Computer NG?

Page 1 of 3
Folks, could you recommend a computer NG where I could seek help for several probs? My guru has moved, and I am bereft....and need to avert a crash.
I searched the computer NG lists, but did not find what I need. The NGs seem highly specialized.
Any help appreciated.
HB
On 1/3/2011 7:37 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Dunno what your specific problems are, but there are newsgroups dedicated to certain operating systems (i.e., Windows) and some applications; Mozilla.org maintains private groups for Thunderbird and Firefox, for example. Microsoft also maintains lots of newsgroups, which actually have people in them ("champions") who give good advice.
Have you looked through the comp.* hierarchy? There should be a ton of stuff there.

The OP didn't search enough. Lazy dummy.
On 1/3/2011 8:37 PM frag spake thus:

Well, ain't you the helpful one.

The truth hurts? FO.
You might try posting here, us OT in the subject line. Also, you might want to limit a post to one or two questions. I doubt you'd get a very positive response if you had a laundry list of questions.
Also, perhaps first, try Googling for help. There are several sites that offer assistance.
Bob-tx

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:57:50 -0600, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

I'd suggest 24hoursupport.helpdesk, but to the OP: Ditch the google groups. Too many people (myself included) filter out all GG posts.

Does it have to be a newsgroup?
There are lots of computer related forums such as:
http://www.geekstogo.com /
and
http://www.computing.net /
I know first hand that the folks at geekstogo will have you run diagnostics and send them the logs. In response they'll post scripts for you to run before re-running the diags and reposting the logs. You go back and forth until the problems are solved.
You basically get adopted by one person who works with you until your issues are solved.
They've helped me solve issues with more than one machine in the past.
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:37:32 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt for hardware problems Too many to list for software problems
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:37:32 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=computer+crash&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wg
Would have been a very productive search when Google was new. It is crap now that Google has "improved"
On 1/3/2011 10:05 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=computer+crash&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wg
I love the paid ads in Google. Find all the "and" you need at our site. We have every sort of "and" a person could possibly want. :-)
TDD

alt.comp.hardware

You're not saying what problems you have. If they are windows and software related (not a broken HD), I'd suggest to clear out clearable stuff. Use ATF-Cleaner, and select what you need cleared. I use ALL, except cookies and passwords. Can easily clear GB amounts
--
Best regards
Han

Try asking here (nice, polite, knowledgeable). Not a NG.
http://tmf.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=128018&p=1
Higgs Boson wrote:

I usually ask my customers, when they report a hardware problem, if they have local access to a twelve-year old male.
On 1/3/2011 10:37 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I have a Gateway and while company has been sold their ng with other GW owners often gives me good advice.

Gateway, Emachine, Compac, HP, all the same POS.
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Folks, could you recommend a computer NG where I could seek help for several probs? My guru has moved, and I am bereft....and need to avert a crash.
I searched the computer NG lists, but did not find what I need. The NGs seem highly specialized.
Any help appreciated.
HB
For a newsgroup maybe 24hoursupport.helpdesk gets a lot of traffic still
for a website tomshardware.com has tons of forums.
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:40:10 -0500, The Henchman wrote:

I was struggling to recall the name and couldn't motivate myself to go and search, but yes, that one certainly used to be very good for PC/ Windows problems (but far less so for other hardware or OS combinations). Maybe it still has healthy levels of contributors...
cheers
Jules

Here's a link to a forum that lists newgroups. Not sure how that works out, but at least it provides the names of a lot of newsgroups:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/hardware-newsgroups /
nb