a healthy ng.

i thought i'd have a quick peek in here and see what's up before i went back to the shelving. this ng is like usenet used to be in its hayday, before all those bloody social networking sights f***ed everything up.

there are a few posts i want to reply to;, i guess i'll have to do that later on tonight after the nippers have gone to bed, or after dinner. i like this ng. its informative and people have a sence of humor and are helpfull.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

Yes, there is more to the demise of usernet than just the social networks. Its forums, lack of news servers run by sips and limited retention time on big binary servers that are also to blame for it. A fragmented user base loses its cohesiveness. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup there are not many of them left, a small island of calms waters where the social networking internet can rush past safely!

(we get about 7K posts / month here)

Reply to
John Rumm

yes always worth checking latest status *before* starting a job in case there are any new good ideas :-)

Also toolstation for new tools and offers. And Amazon.

Reply to
newshound

Web forums. Tell me about them.

I saw a very interesting post in a web forum a few weeks ago, this forum if any one is interested:

It solved a long standing problem I had with my VoIP system. I tried to post a reply thanking the OP for the information, and adding my twopenneth, only to find I needed to sign up and log on. Fair enough, I was expecting that, so I did that, giving my prime email address. That was weeks ago, haven't heard back, and my chosen credentials don't work. was as busy as this group.

On another occasion, and another forum I did managed to get registered and posted a question. In my post I happened to mention my age. Quick as a flash I got an email from the admin/moderator/net-Gestapo, pointing out that the (admittedly false) DOB I had submitted did not correlate to what I said in the post, and could I correct it.

Life's too short for all that bollocks, Usenet is so much better, if only more people were aware.

Reply to
Graham.

24hoursupport.helpdesk used to be excellent for help with computers etc. Then, the merkins moved in and f***ed everything up.
Reply to
Mr Pounder

So true, although the beauty of Usenet's open-to-all format is also it's downfall in many places. Conversely, the good things about moderated forums are also their downfall, too.

I was looking for something on Google the other day, it's available to download from a forum so I tried - sorry, you have to be logged in to download this file. OK, so I registered using an email address, usename and password, then got an email saying "Unfortunately your registration did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.". I wrote back and said "thanks, I found the files I was looking for on P2P so bollocks to your forum".

I've yet to find anything about web forums that's better than Usenet apart from (some of) the moderation aspects, but even they get abused eventually. Who needs their posts ranked, huge smilies available or gold stars next to their name? Aside from anything else, none of them use the tree/branch system of replies that Usenet does and that's a crying shame. You have to wade through pages of posts along with animated GIFs and other crap just to find a possible reply to the OP. With Usenet you can see instantly if someone has replied to your post, you can't with a web forum. Although I suppose you get an email to tell you, along with an animated smiley and a swannee whistle sound, and you hope that someone has marked your post at least 8 out of 10 for some kudos points.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

That's what John Rumms server is for:-)

Reply to
ARW

dmca take downs are making the bin ng's next to useless. if you want anything, you have to get it the day its posted or soon after. the us govt is quietly exert pressure on isp's to drop usenet and unis are also bending to this stupidity. it seems the us govt does not care for the anonymity of it. you know how paranoid the yanks are.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

in their hayday the main ng's i'm a reg of used to get 3 to 5 hundred a day, depending on what action was going on att. a ng in the uk.* hierachy i was a reg used to get even more, a 1000 wasn't ucommon.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

i was looking at a thread yesterday and ended up on youtube watching a video on how to do something. i wouldn't have ended up finding out how to do it unless i read the thread here.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

i couldn't agree more. i tried a couple of web board things, i didn't really get past looking before i gave up. if things are not threaded like on usenet, its all unreadable gibberish and all those stupid bloody smileys these arsewits spam all over the show... dear god, how annoying are they?

i had a nose at facebook, what a pointless pile of s**te that is. i honestly have no idea why people like it. its... its... tragicly lame and awfully.

a friend of mine is heavily into twitter, he's advertising usenet at every chance he gets. a good chap is mimus.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

a friend of mine was talking to me about that the other day, he was telling me its now full of k00ks and complete idiots.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

the best thing about usenet is it is decentralized and doesn't rely on any one provider for the service. that was and still is its greatest strength.

ohhhh. that does annoy me. i was looking for a file. i tracked it down after a lot of searching and to dl it i had to register to get it. the registration process was complete s**te and failed all the times i tried. i gave up and talked to a hacker i know and he hacked the file for me.

i'm not into moderation as i'm anti censorship. censorship is the thing that most pisses me off, we get more than enough of that here in england without it being on the internet. i'm an adult for f*ck sake, not some child who needs protecting.

for anyone who is interested, the pirate bay has released a tor browser that bipasses the blocks on h33t, fenopy, pirate bay and lots of other sites:

it does what it says on the tin.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

Well maybe so, but I notice the academics and gov now have a smart ultrafast internet two to play with so they don't give a shit about the old one, its yesterdays news. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Doesn't compensate for the 417 ways that web forums are crapper than usenet.

Reply to
Huge

they always were.

that's not govt pressure,. that' disk space pressure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

as I pointed out they don't need tobe at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The peak in this group has never gone much above about 13k/ month. It fell to under 5k at one point, but has risen a bit in the last couple of years.

Reply to
John Rumm

Praise be to Harry, Dennis and Lootenant/Major/General wotsisname!

Reply to
PeterC