NG barbecue

Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Seamus J. Wilson

And here I thought you were going to invite the News Group over to your place. Bummer. I'll now turn you over to someone who can actually answer your question.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

usually not.

But they do reuire different gas orifices.

Reply to
RickMeister

Do a smart thing. Call you gas company!!

Reply to
Oren

Typically not.....an NG BBQ is not unlike an stove.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Pressure is usually regulated at the meter. You do have to change the orifices though and comply with your local codes for hookup. You need a shutoff valve near the grill and it usually have to be bolted in place, not on wheels.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

NG is NOT a BBQ fuel

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Hi. Why not? That's what our BBQ is made for from the factory.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad...

Reply to
fftt

It is at our house

Reply to
Rudy

Yes indeed.

Almost all natural gas and LP appliances utilize a seperate regulator at (or built into) the unit, including stoves, cooktops and BBQ's. Typical settings are from 3.5" to 5" water column on the outlet side. The meter/regulator does not step down this far. If you don't use one, the flame will be blowing and lifting off, making for a cold flame with a high level of flue by-products such as CO.

Check with the unit manufacturer for proper manifold settings for their particular burner.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

To clarify,

The regulator on the side of the house, at the meter or wellhead, whichever you have, needs to be set higher. The reason is because enough pressure must be available to push the gas through the house piping without friction loss. The reason it is stepped down at the house is to bring it down to a much safer level should a leak occur inside. Typical settings for this regulator are around 14"-15" w.c. unless you have a CSST piping system inside, in which case it is likely set around 2#. Much too high for individual appliance use.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

To further clarify, you don't know what you're talking about. I just did a conversion from propane to natural gas on a Charmglow outdoor grill using the Charmglow conversion kit.

The conversion consists of:

A - Removing the propane hose and regulator.

B - Replacing that with the natural gas hose, which has no regulator

C - Removing the tips of the burners, which makes the orrifice larger

D - Changing the bezels behind the burner knobs. The new bezel has a different stop that limits how far it can be turned in the low direction.

Reply to
trader4

That may be some tradition where you are but with the exception of high pressure systems which are not that common there is no need for and I have never seen a regulator in or at the point of connection of any NG appliance.

Reply to
George

It's not a tradition. It's definately the same story from Illinois to New Jersey/New York. Anywhere with a gas distribution system, not to be confused with the gas transmission system which is run at much higher pressures, exists. You do realize that the gas control on *every* modern furnace and hot water tank that burns either LP or natural gas is indeed a combination control, which means that a regulator is built into that unit, don't you??

Another poster mentioned that Charmglow uses no regulator. This means that Charmglow's burners are designed to use a higher pressure (14"-15") without lift-off. Like I said, go with the manufacturer's recommendations for pressure settings. But anyone that thinks natural gas appliances don't need regulators should tear into theirs and see for themselves.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Don't I?? Check this document;

You read the post. I said check with your own individual manufacturer for their recommendations, so whats the problem?

I would be willing to bet you did'nt actually check your house pressure. You can see that Charmglow is depending on your house line pressure to be only 7" water column. But you have no idea. You just know it seemed to work and that's good enough for you. Unfortunately pros can't afford to guess and let someone cash in that multimillion dollar liabilty insurance policy that they keep on their companies, so they check things out little more thouroghly. BTW, you also know that the Charmglow/Home Depot marriage isn't exactly producing the most satisfied customers, don't you?

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

No. After the charcoal has developed a nice gray ash coating in the chimney starter, you pour it right over the burners.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

The problem is the question was "Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator? "

To which your first answer was "Yes indeed." Followed by stating that almost all natural gas and LP BBQs utilize a seperate regulator. I have seen lots of LP grills and they do indeed use a regulator that is part of the hose that assembly that goes to the tank. They need it because the tank pressure will vary and there is no regulator already in the system.

I have also seen lots of natural gas grills that do not have regulators because they don't need them. As I stated, I just used conversion kits to convert two grills from LP to natural gas. They both discarded the pressure regulators and just hook the hose up directly.

Then for added measure you threw in more crapola about the regulator at the side of the house needing to be set higher and it must be stepped down. Clearly that is nonsense or the natural gas grill conversion kits would not work without a regulator. They are in fact designed to work with the standard residential pressure.

I'd like you to show us where in your nexgrill document it says that their grill for natural gas uses a pressure regulator. Please show us where it is. In fact, what they are saying is the grill is designed to work with std residential pressure.

Yes, I just followed the simple conversion instructions. No where did those instructions say I had to perform any test. I suppose according to you every time I buy a new dryer I should hire you to come out and charge me $300 to check the pressure and hook it up. Funny if you know so much, you don't know that there are natural gas grills that don't need a pressure regulator. I'm not the only one here of that opinion, several others have stated the same thing.

=A0>Unfortunately pros can't afford to

Actually, the grills I was speaking about were CharBroil. My mistake. They are working fine and for what I paid for them I have no complaints.

Reply to
trader4

That's right. CharBroil uses no regulator in the the two grills I converted from LP to natural gas. The existing LP regulator/hose gets replaced by a new nat gas hose. End of story.

You want to teai into one? Here's a parts schematic of a typical Weber nat gas grill as well.

Obviously they have no pressure regulator either because it's nowhere on the schematic or parts list.

So, obviously you now have 2 major manufacturers of grills that say your answer claiming that nat gas grills require a regulator is wrong.

Reply to
trader4