aluminium wire

When was aluminium house wire banned? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Sligo

Travis Jordan

The NEC did change the alloy of acceptible aluminum wire in the late 70, early

80 time frame but it is still legal if you follow all the rules. The problem is that devices that are OK for aluminum push the cost up to the point that is is not as atttractive and there is still the bad reputation. The new alloy is also harder to work with than copper. Original aluminum was very soft and easily shoved into a box. That was one reason electricans jumped on it. Outragous copper prices in the 70s was the other. Copper is still a lot more forgiving of a sloppy installer.
Reply to
Greg

I have used it, it breaks easily when wrapping around a screw, all the fixtures cost 5 or more times the price, and it's still not the safest stuff. I try to get rid of it if at all possible, particularly for any heavy load circuits such as the kitchen counter outlets and air conditioner. It usually works ok for simple lighting.

They came out with copper clad AL in the late 70's. I still wonder how they managed to stop bi-metal corrosion. it still cracks easily, but is much safer.

Basically, it was a mistake and should never heve been allowed.

Reply to
maradcliff

Actually I belive it wasn't banned. Service wires are still alluminium. Although I think every manufacture has eliminated making small diameter wire, because they expose themselves to lawsuits everytime a drunk brother-in-law can figure out how to use wire nuts.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME