Need garage door opener for two car garage

New build house, requesting recommendations for type of garage door opener which I will add. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
sligo

Genie Intellicode Accellerator.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

I know several differnent garage door installers and they all recommend Chamberlain. They say they are the best out there.

They seem similar to the Sears door openers. Maybe Chamberlain makes the Sears openers?

Reply to
cg

Frankly they are all good these days. Lots of choices of brand and type. I like the screw drive, but chain and tape drives have also proven to be good choices.

You can buy some premium models that are extra quiet and or extra fast opening. One unique one, recently introduced mounts totally above the door and does not have the kind of center drive all the others use.

I have always bought the larger (more powerful) model. For example I have two one car size doors and I use ½ horse Genie units rather than the third HP models.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes there are many good ones from garage door dealers. While they may cost a few dollars more they will save you money in the long run. The biggest weakness of D.Y.I. garage door openers is the 3-piece rails. They tend to flex and bind (especially on screw drives)at the splice joints and cause excess wear on the opener. The only reason they are in 3-pieces is so the box will fit in the trunk of a car. Garage door dealer openers normally carry 1-piece rails that can be 8+ feet long. While they won't fit in the trunk to carry home they are a much better design. Surely you can figure out a way to get it to your new home.

Do a little research on the accelerator models before purchasing. I have heard that a number of installers turn this feature off upon installation since they will open & close some doors too fast and the springs & cables can not keep up w/ the opener. Hence the cables will sometimes come off the drums and cause the door to go crooked & wedge in the opening before it gets fully closed. Then the door can not be open or closed, even by hand until the door is repaired.

Doordoc

Doordoc

I have a Genie Accelerator screw drive in my garage and a Genie standard intellicode screw drive in my shop. I like them both. If I were to start over, I would consider the I-Drive by Wayne Dalton. See them here

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

If you haven't picked out a door yet, check out Wayne Dalton doors and their neat openers which go right about the door. No opener mess in the middle of the ceiling. A very clean idea.

Reply to
Art Begun

By the way, the I-Drive was supposed to be available for non Wayne Dalton doors but there is an apparent problem and they have stopped selling it at least temporaily.

standard

Reply to
Art Begun

You may be right, but I have never had a problem and I don't recall anyone else having problems that appear to have been due to this "weakness" While some of the problems reported could have been related, I fear that it may be more of a sales tenique than a real issue. However it has been around so long that I would guess many of the dealers honestly believe it.

I don't know any that close the door faster. They maintain the same slower speed for safety reasons

Other than that I tend to agree with all you had to say.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
sligo

Off Topic.

I take it from your email that you are not now in county Sligo. What is you connection?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I recently purchased a Genies IS-550-2 to replace my 10-year old one. It comes with a "Series II" wall button. Do I have to use it? Can I use the old one on the wall, that is a simple switch? Currently, I have it connected to the old one, and I noticed I have to push the button twice to open or close the door. The new one has an red LED inside, which seems to illuminate the button.

Another question regarding wall console. More expensive model has the 2 button wall console with vacation lock. Does it only work for those model? Or can I somehow build a FYI wall console with IS-550-2? They seem to use the same 2-wire connection to the head.

Thanks

Reply to
Way-Shing Lee