Clanking water heater

Hey Guys, Does anybody know what a clanking sound coming from the water heater means?

Ours clanks a few times when under high load, and then it goes away. It usually only clanks when someone takes a shower, and even then it is only a few times.

But it really sounds like there are some rocks spinning around inside of it!

Thanks, Drew

Reply to
Drew Dawg

When did you last flush it? Calcium deposits can sound like that some times. I flush 2x a year, we have hard water here

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks, We've never flushed it before. Is that something a homeowner can do (i.e. drain and refill) or does a pro need to come and do it?

Thanks, Drew

SQLit wrote:

Reply to
Drew Dawg

Do a GOOGLE Advanced search:

on this newsgroup for: "draining water heater".

I got 784 hits. Gets discussed every week.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi Drew!

DD> Does anybody know what a clanking sound coming from the water DD> heater means?

I'd guess either your water heater is possessed by left over Hallowen daemons or it has some mineral build-up. Probably the latter.

DD> Ours clanks a few times when under high load, and then it goes DD> away. It usually only clanks when someone takes a shower, and even DD> then it is only a few times.

So much for the daemons! Air bubbles as the water is heated. (Think coffee percolator for an example.)

  • Kids don't get grounded anymore. They merely hit "social speed bumps."
Reply to
barry martin