Church without power

Page 3 of 6
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 03:39:45 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote:

One of those undercounter water heaters would get the job done. I assume they are just washing their hands and not taking showers. Put it on a chicken coop timer and they'll have hot water Sunday morning or whenever.
It would cost about $300, which is a small price to pay to stop the bitching.
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:47:45 -0800, Oren wrote:

Or just grow a pair of balls with hair on them and tell the women to STFU.

I was at the building yesterday. The pipe in from the street is 1 1/2 inch. This appears to be at least 100 feet of inch and a half. Because the pipe coming out of the ceiling to the WH is inch and a half.
The pipe in and out of the water heaters is 3/4 inch.
Fortunately for me, there are a couple drains which go to garden hose thread. Looks like I can shut off the main, hook on a big air compressor, and blow most of the water out of the drains. I hope. Might be some low spots that hold water, that's a problem. Use garden hose to a nearby drain, or out the door.
Not sure the system capacity, but that works out to a LOT of jugs of pink antifreeze.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/7/2013 9:01 AM, Tralfaz wrote:

Some how, I don't think that's the church approved technique. But, it's a thought.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I was writing in regard to how much air is needed to blow out the system. See my post an hour later for an expanded explaination.
Stormin' tried to make it seem like 12 gallons of air was a big deal from a compressor. It is not.
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 11:13:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon

First you wrote |-- But, the big damage is likely to be |-- the water lines. Old copper, in the ceilings and along the inside walls.
If the bulk the water in your pipes is in the ceililngs and walls then draining the system at the lowest available point will get most of it.
Next. a 5 gallon tank, pumped up to 7 atmospheres (14.7*71.5 psi), would give you 35 gallons of air at normal atmospheric pressure. Which is 4.7 cubic feet.
That fills three of your 12 gallon lines. After draining as above, that should be more than enough to push out the residual. Certainly several trips to fill the tank would do the job as would a smalll compressor running on a small generator.
You wrote |-- With freezing and rewarming, there is concern about the wall |-- paper might be damaged by condensation when it warms up.
Can you open windows or otherwise ventilate with outside air. If the inside and outside air are the same temperature and humidity, there should be no condensation.
Condensation only occurs if you fill the rooms with humid air while the walls are still at low tempertures. Heat very slowly. Box fans to circulate would help.
Anyone please correct me if I have this wrong.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are Mormons into the baptism by drowning technique? I never saw a baptismal font with plumbing.
On 11/3/2013 1:30 AM, rbowman wrote:

hundred gallons anyway. 8 x 10 x 4 would be 320 cubic foot, or 2400 gal. I'll measure it some day, and that will allow Derby Dad to pinpoint where I work.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Many years ago I participated in a United Way Day Of Caring at a really old church that had been re-purposed as a community center. The main hall had been converted to a gym and a wall had been put up between the gym and the walk-in baptismal font. On the other side of the font there was a small office area.
Our job that day was to frame a floor over the font so that they could expand the office over the top of it. As anyone who has worked in an old building can imagine, it was quite a job, but by the time our team left that evening, it was ready for the plywood to be installed.
On 11/3/2013 9:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Now and again, LDS chapels are sold when newer buildings are made. I could cynically figure that the font would make a rather large beer cooler, for parties.
Glad to hear you participate in community events. I do so also, when possible.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Hot tub?

Actually, the font has a water heater, and a variable temperature water control. So, yes, it would be excellent for that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Winston_Smith wrote:

You just don't understand the principle of transubstantiation. It just has the species of tap water.
On 11/04/2013 07:57 PM, rbowman wrote:

Men's room water is VERY suggestible :-) It hears the "holy" bullshit and thinks it's really special. Some of that "special" rubs off on people that touch it.
Too bad it's fake special (like when you feed good but it's really your brain frying).
hah wrote: ...

Oh, is that what the urinals flush with?
On 11/5/2013 4:07 PM, misanthrope wrote:

As opposed to womens room water.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You have urinals in the womens room?
You must belong to a very progressive church.
On 11/3/2013 1:30 AM, rbowman wrote:

http://ldsblogs.com/2094/mormon-meetinghouses-baptismal-fonts
The man, standing, is the priest. He says the baptismal prayer, and then baptizes by full immersion. Once, backwards.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's conservative. A friend was Church of Christ, iirc, and they had something resembling a small swimming pool behind the altar. Then there's the scene from 'Boardwalk Empire'...