Christmas tree won't drink water

Page 2 of 3
I am really stretching back into school biology here, But I thought that trees only used the underlying section just below the bark to supply the tree with nutrients from the roots, the middle of the tree was not active at all ???
Any tree experts out there ??
MC

your
Yep. And the suggestion of a 1/2 hole on each side is to give better exposure to that layer, and making the hole any deeper is superfluous. The routine of drilling the hole frequently comes up with a fresh cut with tree stand bottom blocking flow. That's the reason for the center spike. To hold the tree in place, and space it above the bottom of the stand bowl.

tree
Hope
chores,
price.
cut
the
2
spray
prevent
are
it's
Xylem and Phloem Cells, boy that takes me back..

Finite Guy wrote:

Give it a couple of weeks. If it still won't drink, throw it away.

The tree might just be in pain after being cut down. Try giving it two asprin and check it in the morning.
Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Have a Merry Christmas & Great New Year!
Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

This is Turtle.
I think Noozer got it with the flate butt of the trunk sitting flate on the bottom of the pan. If you restrict the veines of the truck it will not take on water.
Secondly take some of this stuff call miricle grow and mix it up strongly and put it in the water. the tree will stay green till next Christmas.
TURTLE
"> We cut a fress Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago at a local tree

How long was it from cutting to putting into water? Two weeks? Once a tree is cut, it should be put into fairly deep water (I use a bucket) to start it drinking the day it is cut. The base should be recut another 1/2 inch or so to expose fresher wood, immediately upon getting the tree home, with a 1/4 inch bevel cut around the base along the bark, using a very sharp utility knife, to expose phloem/xylem channels. I use a flat stone or gravel to keep tree base off bottom of bucket. Once tree is stored in shady cool place like this, it can be moved whenever you like into the house, even weeks later,in a bucket style tree base with righting bolts. While outside, it should be topped off daily. It will drink like crazy for several days, then slow down markedly by the end of a week, but by that time the tree will be hydrated and resist drying once it is inside.
This does not occur very often, but there are occasionally some Christmas trees that are alcoholics. You will need to fill the stand with beer or some hard liquor such as whiskey or rum. Once the stand has been filled with your favorite alcoholic beverage, decorate the tree as usual, except it is highly recommended by "The National Association for Alcoholic Christmas Trees" (NAACT), that you install some sort of durable string or wire from the center of the trees trunk to a solid object, such as the wall behind the tree. The reason for this is because drunk trees tend to fall over easier than those that are on the wagon. It would be a good idea to take your tree to an "Alcoholics Anonymous" (AA) meeting, as soon as the holidays are over, so that it can recover from it's alcoholism and from all the stress of the holidays. On a final note, you might consider using some egg nog containing a large amount of rum in the stand, because that would be the most traditional Christmas beverage. "HIC"
Merry Christmas to you, your family, and your drunk tree !!!
Ho Ho Ho
--------------------
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:14:14 GMT, Finite Guy

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:14:14 GMT, Finite Guy

Why not pray to Jeeesis to save the tree?? After all, it's a living thing which was cut down for the purpose of dying in your living room to celebrate his birth......
eq
Actually, it's more likely a monument to your sexual capacity. Dead from the root, with the balls only a decoration.
<equalizer> wrote in message> Why not pray to Jeeesis to save the tree?? After all, it's a living

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:39:33 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

Direct hit!!! Wow I pissed you off big time with the truth, eh?!? Go off and lick yer wounds!!!
eq
I'm sorry, but your posts no longer have any validity until you fully fill out and post the essay quiz which was presented to you.....
<equalizer> wrote in message> >> Why not pray to Jeeesis to save the tree?? After all, it's a living

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:35:11 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

Total and complete lack of originality in posting (as well as use of Outlook Express) noted.
Thanks for playing!!!
.d8888b. 8888888b. d8888 888b 888 888 d8P 888 d88P Y88b 888 Y88b d88888 8888b 888 888 d8P 888 Y88b. 888 888 d88P888 88888b 888 888 d8P 888 "Y888b. 888 d88P d88P 888 888Y88b 888 888d88K 888 "Y88b. 8888888P" d88P 888 888 Y88b888 8888888b 888 "888 888 d88P 888 888 Y88888 888 Y88b Y8P Y88b d88P 888 d8888888888 888 Y8888 888 Y88b " "Y8888P" 888 d88P 888 888 Y888 888 Y88b 888

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:35:11 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

And also, the essay quiz was posted to the burden of Christians, who need to prove their faith to the rest of us. We who don't follow it's principles have no need or obligation to prove the tenets of Christianity (duh!). Unfortunately, this is too big of a concept for you right now. Please work a little harder on your GED and come back when you're ready.
eq
<equalizer> wrote in message> And also, the essay quiz was posted to the burden of Christians, who

Guess I can see why you're concerned about the GED. A reminder before your next class- the word "it's" is the contraction for "it is".
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 13:58:52 -0500, "Michael Baugh"

I put that in specifically because I wanted you to pick up and run with it. People always resort to spelling/grammar lames when they've hideously lost an argument and have nothing left.
Thanks for proving my point!!!!!
Spank claimed again.......
eq
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 13:11:45 -0500, equalizer<> wrote:

oxymoron, faith is generally a belief not based on proof, so nothing to prove.
http://www.chopurl.com?445

Merry Christmas Everyone!
later,
tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 11:07:16 -0500, equalizer <> wrote:

Roots, balls, and licking, is this the right newsgroup?
:-P
later,
tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:20:33 -0500, equalizer <> wrote:

Maybe today, but the tree was orginally brought into the house this time of year to welcome woodland spirts of life into your home during the death of winter.
The christmas tree was added to the 25th of December over time and tradition, nothing to do with the birth of Christ.
Just saying.....
tom @ www.ChopURL.com
replying to Finite Guy, David wrote: Mine won't drink water either.
I looked online and it said that when a tree is cut at it's base the sap at the base dries and hardens, preventing water and sap loss from the tree. It also said that the sap can take up to 6 hours to harden at the cut.
My tree was cut and i brought it home and put it in the garage on its side over night before setting it up the next morning. I think mine is beyond saving. This was the first time it's happened to me in maybe 10 Christmas tree preps. Guess I should have been quicker on the drawer.