Cheep Multi Tester

Throw one in each tool box -- don't leave home without it.
three bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber0756
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus
Stormin Mormonn wrote:

Had several shaver (personal grooming) cases left over. They make ideal protective cases for small test meters, including a set of suitable leads and maybe a spare battery, in each case. Terry.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber0756
Does it use a $7 battery?
Bob
Bob wrote:

no it does not and i believe it comes with two cheap china batteries... i bought one, dont care for it much.. also had one from sears for about $12.95, did not like that one also.. because it was digital.. seemed that it was not too accurate.. i went back to a analog multimeter from radio shack that i bought about 30 yrs. ago for about $29.00..... not that this one is any more accurate either, just like the feel of it.
Actually, it uses a standard 9V, **BUT**, it is truly a piece of junk. I bought one about 18 months ago from HF. At the time is cost $10. It didn't work at all so I called them and they sent me a new one which seemed to work fine. I then noted that the original had a blown fuse, so I replaced the fuse and it worked as well. Two days ago I went to test an outlet. One meter showed 167 V, the other was out of range (over 750V). My old trusty analog showed 121 V. So I suggest saving your $3 plus shipping and handling (over $10 if this is all you get).
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Bob" < snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net> wrote in message
You're right it takes a standard 9V. But it isn't a piece of junk. Maybe you just got a bad run. Mine is accurate and is only on it's second battery in 2-3 years because I sometimes forget to turn it off. And it the original battery was down to an incredible 3.5V when it quit working. Didn't think anything that took a 9V battery would work at 3.5V but this one still ran the display but the readings were flackey. So if you get weird voltages maybe the batteries is down. BTW, this same meter is sold in other stores under different names for up to $20. I bought mine on sale for $4.50.
My meter is highly consistent reading house voltage and compares closely with other voltmeters. But mine does have one quirk. The display is photovoltaic so in strong light a 12V battery measurement will read as much as 0.4V higher than if the display is shaded. Doesn't bother me know that I know that it does it.
I don't care who makes or sells stuff, only if it works. Just bought an indoor/outdoor electronic thermometer (with hi/low memory) for $10 from HF and it also works perfectly. I set it on top of my house electronic thermostat to check and both the indoor and outdoor (on a wire) read identical to the 1/10 degree and the same as the thermostat. The indoor and the outdoor often differ with the outdoor probe near the indoor scale but that is because the outdoor probe is sensitive and can change very fast. The indoor probe is inside the case and is apparently shield so it changes much more slowly. With the high/lo feature, you can clear the memory, and set the whole thing in a refrigerator or freezer, then come back and look at it and check the low reading and high reading to find out what the temperature changes are. Course a remote outdoor unit would be better but this certainly serves my purposes.
Marilyn and Bob wrote:

I have several of those and they do have one flaw. If the temperature is x9.5 to x9.9 degrees Celsius the Fahrenheit temperature displayed will be about 15 degrees too low.
--
the only way I could keep my cat off the kitchen table
would be to tie him up with a cable

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber0756
Does it use a $7 battery?
Bob
CY: No, about fourteen bucks. I think it takes AA batt, already installed. That or 9V transistor. Can't remember. Probably the transistor.
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:55:29 -0500, "Stormin Mormonn"
Ohhh, a "transistor battery"... for your "transistor radio".
You're old.
:-)
On 30 Nov 2003, Jimmy wrote:

Blow it out yer ass, sonny boy.