cell phone charger on 2nd power strip doesn't charge

Page 2 of 2
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 9:29:16 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

If it was a bad battery then it would not charge when plugged into strip A. Good grief.
wrote in message

0%

charging.

on

Gee, Charlie Brown, sorry I took a WAG but it was labeled as such when I said: "Sounds like . . . " That was based on what he said in that message (I confess I joined the thread late) and experience with bad batteries.
We can't be sure that it's charging. He said "the percentage does go up" which is an indicator reading, not necessarily telling us anything about the actual battery state.
More curious is that he's clearly not had enough time for the battery, after being charged, to completely discharge, so I am not sure the testing procedures are telling us anything valid. Does the phone actually charge up and take a full charge on the good strip? What's the voltage coming out of the charger on either strip and what's the voltage going into the charger?
I'm troubled by the inconsistency of the problem description by the OP, or so it seems to me (posted by the OP at different times:
<But that still doesn't answer why the same charger on the same power strip can charge one phone but not the other phone of the same brand but different model.>
<I have two Huawei cell phones, different models. When I plug phone A to strip B, the phone can charge. However, if I plug phone B to strip B, after overnight, the battery capacity is still zero (zero to start with).>
So I bow out recalling that unfortunately there are people in delight in wasting the time of people who like to help people. Munged address, numbers and not a name, conflict descriptions. YYY may be a very nice person but the endless wave of trolls infesting AHR have made me a lot more suspicious than I used to be.
A possible explanation where a switched power supply works on a downstream powerstrip but not an upstream one is that some sort of noise is interfering with the PS's output and the downstream unit filtered it out.
--
Bobby G.

On 7/25/2015 9:16 AM, Robert Green wrote:

But it works plugged into the other strip.

charging.

on

I based my comment just on what he described in this last message but willing admit I could have it 100% wrong.
<<When I use the same charger on the same strip B, same spot, to charge another phone, the percentage does go up, meaning it is actually charging.>>
That's why I feel it's phone specific and most likely the battery but in reading around the net it could also be the charging connector's hosed or intermittent. It's becoming clear that they should have stopped at the mini-USB connector because the micro USB connector appears to be not very robust. The mini connector had the advantage of having a shape that made it difficult to try to plug in upside-down. Even the full-sized USB connector is deficient (IMHO) in that regard.
Just too difficult to figure out remotely so I'll bow out. I hope someone more tenacious than I am figures it out and posts back here.
--
Bobby G.

On 7/25/2015 8:41 AM, yyy378 wrote:

Green bar might mean "some thing plugged into the charging socket".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 07/24/2015 10:06 PM, yyy378 wrote:

Let me guess, you purchased power strip B at McLowesDepotBigBoxMartWarehouseSuperstore?
If you want a power strip with high-quality receptacles, consider a Tripp Lite Isobar.
On 25/07/2015 19:29, jimmy wrote: [snipped]

Probably even worse than that. A power strip in the U.S. lasts many years. Here, the typical life time of a power strip is no more than one year.
But that still doesn't answer why the same charger on the same power strip can charge one phone but not the other phone of the same brand but different model.
On 07/25/2015 08:36 AM, yyy378 wrote:

To solve your little mystery, a technician would need to measure the output voltage of the power supply while the phone is plugged in but not charging.

weird. What happens if you change the position of the strips to:
wall>strip BE > Strip A?
On 25/07/2015 19:54, taxed and spent wrote:

Oh! Good thinking. I never thought of that. Let me try it tonight.

I can't wait that long!
On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 07:31:27 -0700, "taxed and spent"

Patients, Grasshopper.
On 7/25/2015 2:06 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Doctors have patients.
Grasshoppers have patience.
I'll explain it, much later.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Damn spell check. There needs to be a context check.

I can't wait that long!
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 07:31:27 -0700, "taxed and

When it's night there, it's day here. I don't know if that helps you or not.
There are a lot of strange things that happen in this world.
I have a DVDR with a digital tuner that I use in place of buying a digital TV. Connected to it is a digital to analog converter (I forget the short name for that, something-modulator) and connected to that is the television.
And when I turn the ceiling light on in the bedroom with the switch that is 3 feet away, there is a pause in the sound. It's silent for a second or so. But the picture isn't affected. There isn't even a blink.
And if I turn the light on in the stairway, which is 20 feet away, I get the same effect. If I turn either light off, I sometimes get the same effect and other times, maybe not.
If it do it several times in a row, after the first, second, or maybe the third time, it stops happening.
When I last asked about this on sci.electronics.repair and maybe here, no one had any good ideas. IIRC the most common suggestion was that I was wrong and it wasn't happpening.
But here it is 3 years later, and I don't notice it as often I think because I'm used to it, but it happened yesterday, while I was 20 feet away (normally I'm not paying attention when I'm that far away, and I wasn't but I noticed anyhow.)
A lot of strange things, and little things that I can see no reason God would do, since they don't promote anything he wants, not even belief in him.
(For a non-strange but still quite amazing thing, see my next thread about elephants and landmines.)
<stuff snipped>

Could be a noise spike that the unit picks up and reacts to, perhaps tripping an audio limiting circuit temporarily so that you don't hear a gigantic pop.
Does the unit have a remote? Does the behavior still occur when you put black tape over the IR "eye"? Are these LED, CFL or incandescent lights?
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 17:03:12 -0400, "Robert Green"

Yes remote but never tried tape. Using the actual remote never causes a loss of sound. Why would the light from the fixture do that, even if it includes some IR? And what about the light from the stairwell (and the upstairs hall on the same switch). I don't t hink either of those lights can reach the IR eye.
They used to be incandescent and now they are CFL. Same thing either way. Until yesterday I had 60 or 75W equivalents in the ceiling fixture. Isn't that 15 or 19 watts? times 3. It wasn't enough to read with so yesterday I put in 100w eqivalent, 25 watts times 3.
I think the spark from the on off switch, a silent switch with no or almost no detent, is causing radiation that does soemthing.
If I remember, I'll do some more tests.
<stuff snipped>

Just spitballing based on the fact that it seems only switched light fixtures affect the unit, not switching other kinds of loads. Besides, it's a simple test to perform by just blocking the IR window. I know it's far-fetched but it could be as the lamps fire up the are sending light pulses that mimic the MUTE command and once the bulbs warm up their emissions change. That would explain why it goes away after several attempts (the bulb's warmed up). Are your lights on dimmers? What kind of switches control them? Are they on the same circuit as the TV/DVDR? It could be that anything in that chain (DVDR to modulator to TV) is causing the problem but the TV is mostly likely.
If the guys at Sci-repair were stumped, it's likely to be something very arcane that's happening, perhaps even related to something defective in the equipment. Do you have a socket adapter? Can you screw that in instead of the lightbulb and then try plugging in some non-light load to see if it happens? If it does, we know that light has nothing to do with it and it's probably a powerline glitch of some sort.
Anyway, those are the two things I would try. Running a non-lamp load from one of the light sockets that exhibits the problem and taping over all the IR windows on the equipment. There might even be an IR window on the modulator.

Maybe one of our electrician experts can venture an opinion about silent, non-snap switches and whether they can put a noise spike on the line.

Please do. This is an oddball problem for sure. I'd also do a google search using the model numbers of the devices you have to see if anyone's had a similar problem.
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 23:20:31 -0400, "Robert Green"

That IS a stretch. Plus the DVDR doesn't have** a mute command, and two different tvs have been affected, or maybe three
**Actually it's an annoyance that neither the DVDR or any VCR I've seen, even my 500 dollar one that had everything else, has a mute command or more importantly, a Previous Channel command. Sort of related, the digital antalog converter box I'm using, which was 80 dollars minus the 40 dollar coupon, does have a Power On for the TV, which required no setting and I guess is supposed to work without programming for any tv.

No.

The only lights I remember for sure do this are the bedroom ceiling, 3 of them, with two 3-way switches.

I was going to say yes until I remembered that I installed the ceiling light myself and it's on a different circuit. (with the light on the other bedroom ceukubg, the light and outlet in the attic, and the outlets and light at the workbench in the basement.)
So, No.

Yeah, I have those things. I think mine are 60 years old or more. I know I never bought one and I don't think my mother ever used one, so they must have been in the hardware box** when my father died in 1955. Maybe my grandfather bought them. He died 1930 or 40. **This is the same box that contained the light bulb extensions, one of which I finally used last year 40 years after I took possession of them.
Or they might come from my grandmother, on the other side of the family, who moved out of her house in wtih her daughter around 1960. So they're still 60 years old or more. ...... Where was I?

That requires standing on the bed, which wobbles when I stand on it. It's hard to change the lightbulbs plus there's a glass shade. I'm getting worn out just thinking about it, but maybe I'll do it.

Okay.

I red a web forum about the DVDR, about 500 posts, and I still subscribe to it (though no one posts anymore. At least I think I"m still subscribed. It's on A-V forum, or whatever)
and no one said anything about this.
The TV is nothing special, and I expect no one talks about it.