carpet 'bobbles'

We have an 80/20 carpet in the hall and it's about 4 years old. After initial wear the carpet pile flattened. That's no problem, but now the surface has many 'bobbles' that the sunlight catches and they look awful. My wife is constantly puling them off but it gets a tiresome business.
Is there some preparation that can be sprayed on the carpet to prevent bobbles reforming?
--
pebe

What is a "bobble"? What exactly is your wife "pulling off"?
Must be local usage term. I've got totally no clue, either. I figure it will get explained some day.
What is a "bobble"? What exactly is your wife "pulling off"?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

According to the Mirriam-Webster online Dictionary. 2: a small ball of fabric; especially : one in a series used on an edging

That doesn't make much sense. Perhaps the OP was referring to "pills", or "pilling".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pill_%28textile%29
pebe;3031673 Wrote: > We have an 80/20 carpet in the hall and it's about 4 years old. After > initial wear the carpet pile flattened. That's no problem, but now the > surface has many 'bobbles' that the sunlight catches and they look > awful. My wife is constantly puling them off but it gets a tiresome > business.

> bobbles reforming?
Pebe: I like to think I know a little bit about carpet, but I have no idea what you mean by an 80/20 carpet. Does that refer to the fiber content (80% nylon and 20 percent something else, maybe) or a sculptured carpet where 80 percent of the tufts are cut, or what?
Anyhow, I expect the root of the problem is that either you don't have an agitating brush on your vaccuum cleaner or it's worn out. Normally, the agitating brush on a vaccuum cleaner will whack the carpet pile, thereby shaking any loose fibers out of the carpet and suck them up before they get a chance to accumulate and form fur balls. (I'm presuming that "bobbles" are loose carpet fibers accumulated together into a "clump".)
You might also check that the brush height adjustment on your vaccuum cleaner is set properly so that the brushes are actually beating the carpet so as to shake the carpet pile so that loose dirt and fibers comes out of the carpet.
--
nestork

nestork;3031835 Wrote: > I really had no clear idea of what he meant by "bobbles" either, but > since he put that term in quotes, I reasoned that Pebe didn't know the > correct technical term, so he made up a word to describe what he was > seeing on his carpet, and I imagined a bobble to look like a hair ball a > cat might cough up, but only smaller, dry, and made out of carpet > fibers.
Yes, that's right. Tiny balls of material about 2 to 3mm dia. See this link for devices to remove woolen balls from sweaters etc. I could not think of another way to describe them.
'bobble remover - Bing' (http://tinyurl.com/d977m3a )
80/20 carpet is a description used by the carpet shop for a mixed wool and fibre carpet. I assume it refers to the percentage of each material in the mix.
We used a cylinder cleaner without brushes until I found out about turbo brushes. We now use one of those but it does not help with the problem.
--
pebe

On 3/19/2013 2:17 AM, pebe wrote:

Bobbles in the UK are what we call pills in the US. Never heard of them on carpets but have heard on sweaters where best solution apparently is shaving off.
Usually carpet construction is more responsible for wear than the fiber mix. Pulling off defects may just increase them and cutting is better.
In a high wear area, you want a tight dense carpet construction such as you might see in office buildings or hotel lobbies where a lot of people cause wear and durability is important.
On 3/19/2013 2:17 AM, pebe wrote:

I didn't know they still made wool carpet :o) I'd contact the carpet company....may tell you it is "normal" (it sure seems so with wool sweaters). Friction seems to aggravate the pilling (as with sweaters, inside of sleeve rubs against other clothing)...so, is this in high traffic areas? do y'all wear slippers with smooth soles? Pets?
I'd be inclined (not knowing what else to do) to dab the pills with duct tape or brush with one of those short wire brushes used for pets.

WD40 ?
Greg

Only if the carpet is rusting<g>.
Hey, that's slick!

WD40 ?
Greg
pebe wrote:

Start wearing underwear. Sooner or later, dingle berries are bound to come loose and fall into your carpet. As a result, you get bobbles.

So, HomoGay, nothing better to do that impersonate me again? It's not surprising but you aren't my type. <what a loser>