Carpet pins for hall carpet

I thought I had posted this question but can't find any trace of it - apologies if that's just my searching.

The shop supplying a hall carpet has suggested using pins that plug into sockets in the wooden floor so that the carpet can be rolled back to give access to the CH drain point. Good idea, but having offered then they are now having difficulty getting them. Anybody come across them and know source?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

Thats how it used to be done 40 years ago. It's not a diy undertaking, and it might not suit modern carpets.

The edges of the carpet were bound (turned over?) and rings sown on at intervals, these engaged with pins in the floor and held the carpet in tension. Father in law had a carpet fitted that way Ca. 1962.

Unless they are talking about a different system, but I've come across nothing but grippers since I got involved in carpets at home in 1972.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

That could be diyed, but youd need a punch tool to fit the eyelets. I'm not sure if one could use carpet tape instead of binding the edges.

I guess small headed countersunk screws would do the job as pins?

Seems more common now to have a liftable carpet panel instead.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Our first carpet was fitted that way in 1971. I cannot remember how much we paid for it (but all we could afford to buy new in that first house was the carpet and a bed) but, three houses later, that carpet was finally discharged from duty just 5 years ago. Money's worth.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Derek ^ has brought this to us :

I dont't know either, but assuming it would....

Stitch some suitable washers on the back of the carpet, then hook these onto flat headed nails, hammered into the floor so the heads remain a little proud.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield