Car generator to power house

Page 7 of 7
On 12/28/2008 6:11 PM HeyBub spake thus:

I assume by that that you mean to impugn the article, emanating as it does from that refuge of kooks and dreamers. A little perspective here: for a liberal (OK, let's say "ultraliberal") town, San Francisco has a surprisingly conservative daily (well, at least on practically everything except gay rights). The Chron always comes down on the side of the local utility company, PG&E (said to stand for "Pure Greed & Corruption" by some) in the many battles progressives have fought over the decades in attempts to institute public power for the city; the latest episode was Proposition F on the November ballot, which lost--again--probably having nothing to do with the relentless campaigning against it by the likes of the Chronicle.

My bad about that report, which I thought was the right one but discovered wasn't after posting it. There is one somewhere on DOE's site that you're welcome to find that does mention the 2030 estimate of 20% from wind. You see, despite being from the town of nutcakes and fairies, the Chron, like most big dailies, does actually check facts before publishing, and presumably someone over there looked at the right DOE report.

Good point, and one that deserves addressing (maybe not right here right now in the interest of limiting thread/message size); one obvious answer is, how about distributed sources of power, like lots of solar systems on people's roofs, rather than a few giga-plants requiring gigantic power lines?

Thank you for demonstrating my point (and showing your work to boot; nice). So maybe you aren't a total idiot after all.
So on top of solar, there's:
o Geothermal (lots here in California, at least); o Hydro (including the low-head variety that enviros like better); o Wind o Biomass (including biodiesel) o etc., etc.
LOL. There goes your credibility. A joke of a newspaper runs an article about power distribution and you take that as an authority on the commerical viability of wide spread wind power and then somehow try to drag that into solar? And all that article said was that it would require $20bil investment in the DISTRIBUTION system to be able to get to the point where we could get 20% of our energy in 2030 from the wind.
And the second DOE piece says nothing about wind or solar period. And you have the gall to call Bub an idiot? But you did show how ignorant on the whole subject you are.

HeyBub wrote:

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm

To help clarify a few things, If you have the car turned on. Actually, to clarify things: if you have the car turned on, the engine is not automatically running. Power is managed by the 201v traction battery. If you place a load on the small startup battery, with the car turned on the traction battery will keep the small startup battery charged. When the traction battery reaches its low point, the engine will charge up the traction battery then quit once the traction battery is full. This cycle will repeat until you're out of gasoline. (Remember, this is a gas car; the only form of energy that's added to the system is gasoline.)
What you read recently isn't news. People have been powering refrigerators and sump pumps for some time now using Priuses.
On 12/26/2008 2:00 PM HeyBub spake thus:

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm
What I took away from this article and the ensuing discussion here:
o Yes, marginally interesting & useful. o But really only practical for getting through a power outage. o Not really useful or efficient for otherwise powering one's house. o Only technical error I could see is that odd description of regular car batteries as "AC Delco". What, everyone in the world buys that brand of batteries??!? o Agree with those who suggested the guy would have been better off putting his food outside in the snow rather than running any kind of refrigerator. Snow is, like, cold, dude.
The real interesting story here is on the site which one of the commenters to the article posted a link to: http://www.priups.com , which shows how to tap the hybrid's propulsion batteries for powering one's home.
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html
amazing what nuclear power did to rrussia, it could happen here, most likely from a release of the non hardened waste storage pools. this would be far worse than chernobyl, where only 3% or so of the core got released

"It" (a Chernobyl-style accident) can _NOT_ happen here owing to the fundamental difference in reactor design.
Chernobyl was a problem of the magnitude it was for two reasons -- first, the lack of any containment and second and fundamental difference the graphite-fueled fire, the plume from which was the dispersal mechanism. Both of those necessary features are not present in LWR designs.
LWR spent fuel is not in a form that would be conducive to such an accident, either.
One should at least have fear based on a rational scenario rather than making stuff up that isn't physically so.
HeyBub wrote:

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+savvy-prius-owner-uses-hybrid-to-power-house-during-snow-storm

It works, just that it's not enough by a long shot.
--
Van Chocstraw