Car battery

Page 2 of 5

But you'd better bow the right direction!

I third that comment. ...from the dark side (Auburn).
On 7/9/2010 1:30 PM, keith wrote:

I attended classes at The University of Alabama while in the womb. I care nothing about football so I'm considered an evil heretic in my home country of Alabamastan. If football vanished today, the only thing about it that would bother me would be having to listen to all the grown men whining, bitching and complaining that they now have to pay attention to their wives and girlfriends. 8-)
TDD
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 15:33:57 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Oh, I like to watch football, alright. ...just not SEC, which is far worse than not caring. ;-)

103f, 12% RH today. That means it's "humid as Hell" outside, compared to most days here in Las Vegas. <Grin> You don't sweat on days like this. It evaporates too quickly. Instead, you soon find yourself coated with a sand-like grit. . . salts from your evaporated perspiration. Lick your lips and they're salty.
Nonny. . . but it's a 'dry' heat, as we say.
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

It's currently 97F with 38%RH, so it's dry as a bone here.

Ovens are a "dry heat" too.

It's a cool dry 80F and 60% humidity here in the "interlaken" district of south central Ontario - down from the 90+F and 90+% of earlier this week.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Same in Houston. We didn't build the first air-conditioned sports stadium to be ostentatious.
Admittedly, we're not as bad off as, say, New Orleans, but then folks in New Orleans don't know any better. Heck, many of them came to Houston after Katrina and found out how the rest of the world lives. ("Whach you mean, officer, I can't be moseying thru my 'hood with a toke and a malt?")
HeyBub wrote:

Hi, We had to add a/c unit for the house here 3 years ago. Summer temp. however short duration is becoming uncomfy for a month or so. Temp. of 30C was very rare in the past but it is becoming common occurence lately. Even today I am watching Stampede parade in the house with a/c running. I notice not many bands from down South are taking part this year. Maybe due to sluggish economy?

I bought a 1984 Buick, used, in 1991. About six years later, it needed a new battery -- turned out the AC-Delco battery I removed was the *original*, manufactured in November 1983 or something like that.
Battery life is largely dependent on high temperatures in your area, the hotter the shorter their life
my family in phoenix reports 3 years or less.
some vehicles today put the battery in the trunk to keep them away from high underhood temperatures.... long wiire length may be a issue.
personally I prefer to replace mine no mre than every 3 or 4 years tops, with die hard gold battery that has about double the life supposedly.
I USED to buy a lot of alternators, since I went to replace before failure althernator replacement is a rare event.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:32:58 GMT, Van Chocstraw

There is no set number of years a battery lasts. Too many variables. You'll get many different opinions however. Mine would be that your average quality battery SHOULD last you 5 years. If you would rather be safe than sorry replace it every 5. The battery in my Chevy Trail Blazer lasted 4 years but there was a recall on them. Chevy would pay for the battery but you had to pay the 1 hour minimum labor charge or 90 bucks at the dealer. I said F that, went to Autozone and bought one if their batteries. It lasted 1 year. They checked the charging system, passed with flying colors, replaced the battery free of charge. Well that battery lasted 1 year too. Trip back to Autozone, re-test the charging system, passed with flying colors, replaced the battery free of charge. This was a year ago and so far this one is holding up. It does have poor performance when its cold. When its in the single digits I put a floater charge on it overnight.
The Autozone in my 96 Honda Accord is around 9 or 10 years old now. Still going strong. The 300 cranking amp battery in my John Deere tractor is 10.5 years old and just now this year needs replacing.
So there really is no pattern in the longevity of lead-acid batteries. Well at least none that I can discern other than not deep cycling the charge unless you have a deep cycle battery like those made for marine products. And not over or under charging but those are both no-brainers.
I got one from Advance Auto Parts and Battery. Disappointing. Find out later it was a circuit in my vehicle that was draining. Oops. I'm told Interstate is finest quality.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, Interstate is one of the best, if not the. They also take care of them by keeping them charged and rotating the inventory.

It's made by Exide, the same company that makes 90% of the rest of the batteries sold in the US.
nb

So, is your position that all batteries made by Exide are the same?

My position is sitting near my front window overlooking the Arkansas River.
nb

Well, at least you made your position clear. Now, is it your opinion that all batteries made by Exide are the same?
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:32:58 GMT, Van Chocstraw

They are both living on borrowed time, especially the 9 year old. Five years is about the life you can expect to get reliable service from an automotive battery. Anything beyond that you un the risk of being stranded in the worst place at the worst time.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:23:40 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Even a battery that is still working after that long will have greatly reduced capacity.
A battery that seems to be fine at 75 degrees F, may completely fail to start the car at 35 degrees F.
On Thu 08 Jul 2010 08:15:37a, told us...

In the heat of AZ most car batteries rarely survive much over 2 years. Many people routinely replace them at 2 yeaer intervals to help avoid getting stranded in some remote desert area.