Canon Power Shot Camera Problem

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 08:23:41 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Sorry that I didn't say I had a tablet. I already have a camera problem with a charging cable that is eithr bad or the camera's port is bad - preventing me from uploading pics to my PC, and in fact which shorts out something that shuts down my PC. Scary to say the least. Woke me up to the fact that maybe these connections are fragile. Seems thataway to me.
Anyway thank you for your response.
Have a good day.
Alan
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 05:52:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@Blech.com wrote:

On 3/20/2015 8:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

Wife's W7 computer would not recognize her flip camera while my W8 machine does. I told her about your problem.
I'm going to leave a USB connector in my machine after reading this thread to avoid this type problem.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:24:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

If the end connectors on these USB cords are that fragile (which surprises me), I am really concerned thata similar thing can happen with my USB charger cord on my tablet. Good golly. If the connector on the tabelt went bad, it would cost me some bucks.
Oh well
C'est la vie I guess C
On 3/20/2015 7:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

(micro/mini depending on age) receptacle on the camera. It is possible for the contacts inside to come loose from their plastic insulator and be mangled. If this happened then the act of plugging the USB cord into the camera could cause the contact(s) to short. A long shot but it will only take a few minutes to check. If you don't know exactly what the inside should look like I'm sure that you have something around with the same style of receptacle or can find a picture online somewhere.
BenignBodger wrote:

++1.
bob_villa wrote:

+1, and if that does not solve the issues, IMO USB port connector on the camera could be bad, or USB controller in the camera. New cameras now use WiFi to print or upload pictures. Look at the mini USB connector and camera connector with mag. glass you may see some thing not right.

Are you saying the new cameras dont have a USB connector anymore? WIFI would be useless for me. I dont have WIFI at home, and probably never will, because in a rural area it's not affordable. Having to go to a public WIFI everytime I want to get photos off my camera would be a huge pain.
I assume you can still remove the card and stick that in a card reader....
I always use a card reader. If for no other reason, it saves the camera batteries.
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 3:03:18 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

WiFi isn't only for an internet connection...most laptops have WiFi and with that capability on a camera you don't need to physically connect it. They will (most likely) also have a USB connection.
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 03:17:35 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

My older laptop computer can connect to WIFI, which is how I watch videos or download stuff (at the library or a fast food place). Because I can only get dialup internet at home.
So, are you saying that if I turn on one of those cameras, it would provide a WIFI signal, which my laptop could see? ? ? ? ?
I know my laptop (about 8 years old with Windows XP), does not send OUT a WIFI signal, it only receives WIFI.

How is it possiable to only receive and not transmitt WIFI as there needs to be communications both ways ? Unless you have it some how set not to send out wifi.
On 3/21/2015 2:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Those interested could go to the Canon camera site and look at specs. There is also setting up wifi with instructions.
I sort of like just plugging devices into my computer, accessing the picture/video files and copying what I want as some of the setups to extract files want to plug you into the devices websites and buy services there.
This happened when I tried to plug my wife's cell phone into my computer and apparently you have to send them in and retrieve them from Verizon. You could not access the files otherwise.
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 12:38:23 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

you do. Ethernet is bi-directional. Wifi is ethernet. Your computer can send and recieve data on wifi. You can print to a wifi printer. You can send email. You can store documents on wifi enabled NAS drives. ALL wifi enabled computers can both send and recieve.
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 1:39:28 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

The camera specific part, I'm not the best source on because I don't have one of those new cameras that have built-in wifi. But since the point is to connect via wifi, I would assume it would talk to your laptop just like a wireless printer would.

As others have pointed out, it has to be able to both send and receive. I think what you may mean is that your PC can't serve as a wireless access point for other devices, eg my smartphone doesn't talk to my PC directly either. The smartphone talks to the wireless router, the WR is connected to the PC via ethernet. But in the case of the cameras, I would think they would have software on both ends so that it will communicate wirelessly camera to PC. Again, just like a wireless printer works.
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:24:59 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

That is exactly what I meant. I know when I am connected to a public WIFI I can send an email, etc. But my laptop can not provide a WIFI signal to another device, such as a phone another computer, etc.
I really do not know much else about WIFI, except how to locate a hot spot and use it.

On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 4:03:18 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You're confused here. The wifi for a home is just a wireless router that you can buy for $50. It goes after your Cable or DSL modem. Nearby PCs, printers, etc connect to the router via ethernet ports. The WIFI part, wireless devices in the house connect to. It's your own home version of the free internet they have at Starbucks and similar public hot spots. There are also wifi services that cover larger public areas, to deliver to paying customers, which is probably what you're referring to.
In my house, my wifi is used to support my smartphone and Tivo.

trader_4 wrote:

I have 2 laptops and a Roku running on WIFI , two desktops are hardwired with cat5e . Right now I'm streaming music over internet radio to the laptop out in the shop . The WIFI router is sitting on the top of my desktop cpu and the shop is 40+ feet away . They start at under 20 bucks on eBay for used units , new under 50 .
--
Snag

On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 03:02:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Might not have internet capability, but you can still connect your camera to your computer. Don't even need a router because you can do wifi point to point.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 03:23:47 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

capacitors in the camera and it is loading(shorting) the data line. The camera is about 6 or 6 years old????
On 03/20/2015 04:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@lost.org wrote:

I do with my camera, since the (Windows) software didn't work very well. Later, when I tried Linux I found it worked perfectly with no software required.

I have had a similar problem, where the computer shut down. In fact, no camera was required. Just plugging in a USB cable shut it down. It was a defective USB port on the PC. Moving it a little (unavoidable while plugging something in) was causing a short.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/