Canon Power Shot Camera Problem

Go with "what works".

I suggest you just remove the card, upload to the PC, replace the card from now on.

I find the "remove the card, read on PC" method easier, in any case. And I have to use a card reader with my Mac!

Reply to
John Albert

How is it possiable to only receive and not transmitt WIFI as there needs to be communications both ways ? Unless you have it some how set not to send out wifi.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Those interested could go to the Canon camera site and look at specs. There is also setting up wifi with instructions.

I sort of like just plugging devices into my computer, accessing the picture/video files and copying what I want as some of the setups to extract files want to plug you into the devices websites and buy services there.

This happened when I tried to plug my wife's cell phone into my computer and apparently you have to send them in and retrieve them from Verizon. You could not access the files otherwise.

Reply to
Frank

My older laptop computer can connect to WIFI, which is how I watch videos or download stuff (at the library or a fast food place). Because I can only get dialup internet at home.

So, are you saying that if I turn on one of those cameras, it would provide a WIFI signal, which my laptop could see? ? ? ? ?

I know my laptop (about 8 years old with Windows XP), does not send OUT a WIFI signal, it only receives WIFI.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I hate to burst your bubble, but you know a lot less than you think you do. Ethernet is bi-directional. Wifi is ethernet. Your computer can send and recieve data on wifi. You can print to a wifi printer. You can send email. You can store documents on wifi enabled NAS drives. ALL wifi enabled computers can both send and recieve.

Reply to
clare

The camera specific part, I'm not the best source on because I don't have one of those new cameras that have built-in wifi. But since the point is to connect via wifi, I would assume it would talk to your laptop just like a wireless printer would.

As others have pointed out, it has to be able to both send and receive. I think what you may mean is that your PC can't serve as a wireless access point for other devices, eg my smartphone doesn't talk to my PC directly either. The smartphone talks to the wireless router, the WR is connected to the PC via ethernet. But in the case of the cameras, I would think they would have software on both ends so that it will communicate wirelessly camera to PC. Again, just like a wireless printer works.

Reply to
trader_4

I have 2 laptops and a Roku running on WIFI , two desktops are hardwired with cat5e . Right now I'm streaming music over internet radio to the laptop out in the shop . The WIFI router is sitting on the top of my desktop cpu and the shop is 40+ feet away . They start at under 20 bucks on eBay for used units , new under 50 .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That is exactly what I meant. I know when I am connected to a public WIFI I can send an email, etc. But my laptop can not provide a WIFI signal to another device, such as a phone another computer, etc.

I really do not know much else about WIFI, except how to locate a hot spot and use it.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

If the end connectors on these USB cords are that fragile (which surprises me), I am really concerned thata similar thing can happen with my USB charger cord on my tablet. Good golly. If the connector on the tabelt went bad, it would cost me some bucks.

Oh well

C'est la vie I guess C

Reply to
confused

This. It's not at all uncommon to have formerly-reliable USB ports suddenly go wonky. Most often they simply fail to recognize the device, but they can be cranky in other ways, too.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Yeh but....

I am concerned now about the connection on my Galaxy tablet. If in fact the connector on my camera is the culprit, and I think it is, I can get by by uploading the pics from the memory card in the camera by physically placing that card into the SC card reader on my PC. Not too much work and very infrequent anyway.

BUT the cord/connector on the Galaxy is another matter. Heck I am regularly charging my Galaxy with it. Plus connecting my Galaxy to my PC. If the tablet connector goes South, then I will have to get it repaired, else my tablet is out of commission. I have no idea what a repair would cost, but I fear it would not be trivial.

Thanks for responses.

Confused

Reply to
confused
[Big Snip to remove possible trolling]

If your USB on the Galaxy goes south you get it repaired or you junk it. End of discussion. Were you thinking maybe a prayer vigil or seance?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Good grief.

You are right of course.

I wasn;t looking for a reply. I was just expressing a fear. Cya in next life.

confused

Phones, tablets, and laptops get charged constantly...they're design is key to their longevity. Try not to worry...;^)

Reply to
bob_villa

"Thanks for responses" and "Confused" is probably why you got responses...

Reply to
bob_villa

I had the same problem on my Blackberry Playbook. They have a "magnetic" charge connector - so I bought the mag-charger for it so charging doe not damage the data plug.

Reply to
clare

I wonder if there is anything similar for my Galaxy?

Reply to
Turing

There is

Google is your friend - seek and ye shall find

Charge only/no data

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Not likely - one reason the b'berry is so much more expensive.

Reply to
clare

Is this what you are talking about ?

It is for a Xperia Z3 Z1 Z2 Z Ultra L39H L50W XL39H

I couldn't find a magneic adapter for a Galaxy Tab4. I can't even imagine how such a thing would work.

Thanks

Alan

Reply to
Turing