Can you run a generator in a basement with the windows open?

Page 2 of 6

: On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:28:44 -0800, dean wrote: : : > Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not going to be ... The rest of us will : laugh at you on the evening news.
Speak for yourself, blatherskite. There is no "rest of us" on a ng.
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:50:20 -0500, Pop wrote:

Well of course there is, silly. Everyone else besides the original dipshit is "the rest of us". Simple, no?
Are you related to that halfwit, or something?
Linux Registered User #327951
: On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:50:20 -0500, Pop wrote: : : >>> Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not : : >> The rest of us will laugh at you on the evening news. : : > Speak for yourself, blatherskite. There is no "rest of us" on a : > ng. : : Well of course there is, silly. Everyone else besides the original : dipshit is "the rest of us". Simple, no?
No. Wrong. I don't need you to think for me; therefore, since I don't think like you do, I am not part of the "rest" of your comment. If tinw is new to you, then you're pretty ignorant yet. Look it up, iggie. So speak for yourself.
: : Are you related to that halfwit, or something? : : -- : If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space. : Linux Registered User #327951 :

A serious reply.
I once tried to use my leaf blower to clean the garage with the 16' door open. About 45 seconds into the project all my smoke alarms were screaming. The one in the garage set them all off.
Many people die each year from using propane or gasoline engines in enclosed areas. Don't be one of them. Build or buy a generator enclosure, set it up outside as needed or don't use it.
Colbyt
: Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not going to be : on when I'm not there. Its not going to run when I'm upstairs. Its just : going to sit there most of the year doing nothing, and get used maybe : once a year for 5 minutes, while I stand there and watch it. What's the : big deal? : : The fan mentioned above is a good idea, but it will have to be run by : the generator:) : Boy, this thread's drawn some strange ones out of the woodwork, but they're all I think meaningful if tongue in cheek or sarcastic.
The problem is CO. It's odorless, colorless and undetectable unlike the remaining fumes that the generator exhaust pushes out, which are quite smelly. It'll also collect in "pockets" and one won't know they're breathing it, even after the generator is turned off. Look up CO poisoning if you'd like more details on its effects, etc.
The fan would help, but not eliminate the CO problem. CO could still collect in the furnace compartments, any 3-sided enclosure the fan doesn't evacuate. Less dangerous with a fan, but still not eliminated.
Isn't there any way you could locate the generator where you could push it outside a door, close the door, and hopefully not get the exhause pushed back into the basement?
If you really have to have it inside like that, then get hold of an exhaust kit to vent the exhaust thru a door or the wall to the outside. It's not foolproof, but it'd be a lot better.
I'd vote for a way to get it jsut outside a door to run it. Maybe in its own enclosure you could push it into when you need it. Then you also wouldn't have the issue of having fuel leaks, spills, oil leaks, overflows, etc. in the basement. Plus, if a generator ever goes whooey-belly-up on you, it's quite likely to emit so much and so strong smoke that you may not be able toget to it to shut it down or fight a small blaze around it because of the smoke. I had a lawn tractor barf its oily guts onto my driveway a couple summers ago because it overheated and I'd hate to have had that in my basement: No fire, but a tremendous, harsh billowing cloud of smoke flew up around it for about 5 minutes until it cooled enough and the smoke started to disperse. No flames, but the muffler was well coated with oil when I could get near it again.
I'd seriously opt for some method to at least get it outside a door. Maybe a quick, cheap little covered space for it with enough sides to keep the snow out. Doesn't matter if it runs 5 minutes at a time or 5 hours.
HTH,
Pop
You can't kid us. The power is out; you have a generator. Of course you will run it more than just to pump up water pressure. Furnace... lights... fridge... tv... you know, civilization. Maybe you can figure out something about the exhaust (and your generator vents the crankcase blow-by gases to the air intake) but there's no getting around the issue of indoor gasoline handling which is dangerous enough to nix this idea regardless of the other details.
You need to figure out a way to run this outside where it's safe and sufficiently convenient that you will forget these thoughts. Being able to have all the comforts SAFELY while your neighbors shiver in darkness is worth a little extra effort to work out the details in advance.

I don't know what's come over the group today. Usually they warn people like you about imminent death. So I'm going to bring it up and wait for someone else to say what differentiates this case from all the others where death was abig risk.
No one even said to get a CO detector.
But I still have doubt about the fan to do anything substantial, and the gases in the basement will probably rise to upper areas of the house.
I had an old outboard motor I was repairing and testing. I Put a sawhorse in the bathtub and mouted the engine to that . I starte a 21 inch fan blowing out from teh bathroorm and another pretty big fan blowing in the same direction in the bathroom door. I started the engine and within 5 seconds the room was filled with smoke. and the fans were I think continuing to fall behind in blowing out the air. My 5 or 10 second test was enough that I took it out on Jamaica Bay.
Now it made a lot of smoke because iirc it was a two-cycle engine, and it was old, but that has nothing to do with the inability of the fans to remove the exahaust gases.\\

Now mm why would he want a Co detector, More money and alot of work to hook it up like a gen, and with all that noise you wont hear it anyway. I know my neighbors lawnmower caught fire, oh but this is a generator, its better.
Maybe Nick will be along to help you with Cogen.
Ok here's the deal. I have another generator, which runs the rest of my house. Its a honda 2000i, I can't hear it from the house when I run it in the garage with the door open. I wired it up to a transfer switch with 6 circuits and it works perfectly.
Problem is, it does not have 220V. The only thing in my house that needs that is the well pump. And I dunno about you, but water is the MOST important thing to me after a day of blackout.
Hence my original question. I am here getting opinions and will act on them when this thread is done. I know for sure I can run my 2000i in the basement and make zero smoke and just a little smell. I just need a 220V generator. I dont see the big deal about running it for a moment - after all how long does it take a well pump to provide 100 galons?
dean
dean wrote:

(assuming it has enough excess capacity for "a moment" of pumping)?
I doubt it has the power to run a well pump, otherwise that would be the solution.

is going to start a well pump?!
Are you trolling or serious... Thats nice you know your honda will just smell a little and make little noise down there. If your running any gas engines down there your out of your mind!
If you can, modify your will to leave me the 2000i when your overcome by CO down there. Run the 2000I in the garage and run the 220v unit right next to it with a real long plug.
Or just get a backup 110v pump... Or get an emergency battery operated one.
Cant we have a conversation here without assuming everyone is a complete fuckwit? People aren't necessarily stupid just because they are strangers online.
Boces - how can I put in a 110V or backup well pump, 200 feet below surface? Run a new system next to it? Dig a second hole? Come on! Checking the gas level? When I only use it 5 minutes a year, it will never run out! What if my exhaust fan is blocked by snow? Jeez how could I ever notice that one, after all I'm only standing right next to the thing, as mentioned! And so on....
I'm not asking for reassurance, I'm looking for opinions from smart people who may have alternative ideas. That's where google groups is fantastic. I've use this group to install a generator transfer switch, fix my fridge, fix the garage door opener, untold great advice. Its the patronizing dickheads that make it all tedious to wade through all their waffly 'fatherly advice, son'.
So far, the soundest advice I think I'll go along with is to run the generator in the garage (YES OPEN!) and run a cable down to the basement,
Thanks for all the good advice everyone.
Dean

I would think that the word you want is dimwit.
That word makes sense, means something.
Your word is inane, and vulgar for the sake of being vulgar.
And when you come here for free answers, you should tolerate when people suspect you are a dimwit**. You certainly shouldn't escalate what is only his suspicion for the sake of your own safety to gutter language.
**Whether they have reason or not. But actually there are reasons. After all, you only suspect your current generator can't run the pump, when you have all the parts to find out for a fact if it can or not. And you think you can blow the exhaust gas out***,
***The fans will blow out a little exhaust gas and the rest won't be. How many times will it have to blow out the entire volume of basement gas to blow out 90% of the exhaust gas? I don't know but quite a few.
and what follows:

And the downside to his family, and anyone else who might be there.
I have hooked up a generator in the dark during the rain (outside) and I can tell you it is not the same thing as doing it for practice on a nice sunny day.
I am reminidng you to remember the human factors. You will be tired and under stress.
If you do everything perfectly you may be able to run the gen in the basement. If you make a mistake it could be a big problem, fire CO whatever.
Do you trust yoursefl to do it exactly right in the dark and under stress?
Mark

We don't assume stupidity because OP is a stranger, we assume stupidity because OP wants to do a stupid thing. to wit: running a generator in the basement.
There are ways to run an engine in a basement safely. All of those ways are more work and more money than finding a different solution to the problem.
dean wrote:

Contractors ran a gas masonry saw in our basement while we were out. I have no idea how long it was running for, possibly on and off most of the day. They would have had, at most, a small window open and a direct-to-the-outdoors door open. When we got home there was a distinct smell of gas and fumes in the kitchen, directly above where they were working, that took a day or two to dissipate, and of course a stronger smell in the basement. It must have been miserable while they were there. Of course that would have been a two-stroke, I presume.
Just a data point for your consideration.
Chip C Toronto

How about a 2:1 transformer? Startup might still be a problem... It might help to start a motor with a flywheel first, or use a surplus 120 to 240 V motor-generator or a 120 V motor connected to a 240 V motor with a small 2:1 field transformer.

I've looked at the EU2000 exhaust port. It should be fairly easy to remove the muffler and attach a stainless steel flex pipe with an oval flange with a hole in it and the two original bolts.
Nick
What does the well pump pull, a step up 120-240 transformer is cheap, gee I have about 6 from living in europe . What is surge capicity on the 2000. But you are pretty careless to run a gas motor in the house.