: Why is it so dangerous? I know about CO and fumes. Its not
going to be
: on when I'm not there. Its not going to run when I'm upstairs.
: going to sit there most of the year doing nothing, and get used
: once a year for 5 minutes, while I stand there and watch it.
: big deal?
: The fan mentioned above is a good idea, but it will have to be
: the generator:)
Boy, this thread's drawn some strange ones out of the woodwork,
but they're all I think meaningful if tongue in cheek or
The problem is CO. It's odorless, colorless and undetectable
unlike the remaining fumes that the generator exhaust pushes out,
which are quite smelly. It'll also collect in "pockets" and one
won't know they're breathing it, even after the generator is
turned off. Look up CO poisoning if you'd like more details on
its effects, etc.
The fan would help, but not eliminate the CO problem. CO could
still collect in the furnace compartments, any 3-sided enclosure
the fan doesn't evacuate. Less dangerous with a fan, but still
Isn't there any way you could locate the generator where you
could push it outside a door, close the door, and hopefully not
get the exhause pushed back into the basement?
If you really have to have it inside like that, then get hold of
an exhaust kit to vent the exhaust thru a door or the wall to the
outside. It's not foolproof, but it'd be a lot better.
I'd vote for a way to get it jsut outside a door to run it.
Maybe in its own enclosure you could push it into when you need
it. Then you also wouldn't have the issue of having fuel leaks,
spills, oil leaks, overflows, etc. in the basement.
Plus, if a generator ever goes whooey-belly-up on you, it's
quite likely to emit so much and so strong smoke that you may not
be able toget to it to shut it down or fight a small blaze around
it because of the smoke.
I had a lawn tractor barf its oily guts onto my driveway a
couple summers ago because it overheated and I'd hate to have had
that in my basement: No fire, but a tremendous, harsh billowing
cloud of smoke flew up around it for about 5 minutes until it
cooled enough and the smoke started to disperse. No flames, but
the muffler was well coated with oil when I could get near it
I'd seriously opt for some method to at least get it outside a
door. Maybe a quick, cheap little covered space for it with
enough sides to keep the snow out. Doesn't matter if it runs 5
minutes at a time or 5 hours.