Can Whirlpool washer & dryer be stacked on pedestal drawers?

Page 1 of 2
How do I find out if the costco whirlpool duet sport front loading washers & dryer combination are stackable on the costco pedestal?
Does anyone know?
The part numbers are: - Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer, [Model WFW8410SW] Item # 133047 http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid 168160&whse&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
- Whirlpool Duet Sport Elec Dryer, [Model WED8410SW] Item # 133053 http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid 185786&whse&topnav=&cat=&s=1
- Pedestal with drawer [Model LAB2700MQ] http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid 182148&whse&topnav=&cat=&s=1
Can you stack this dryer and washer on this pedestal? How can I find out?
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:30:07 GMT, Wlm Singleton

Open the box one comes in and see what the manual says? Or get the clerk to do it.
Find the manual online and read it there.
Use groups.google.com advanced search to find a thread with Whirlpool in the name, maybe the first word, and see the answer to his question, which I think gave the whirlpool manual webpage. (Sort your results by date although the relevance should be very high too. There were posts withyint the last two days.)
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:43:51 -0400, mm wrote:

It doesn't say in the manual from Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore, etc! http://www.insideadvantage.com/assets/product/ZINSTALL/W10108880.pdf
I already looked. If it says it in there, I challenge anyone to find it!
Plus nobody EVER asked this question on the Internet. I googled extensively.
I think this is tribal knowledge that only someone with it working or a repairman would know.
Do you know if both the washer & dryer can be stacked on the Whirlpool/Kenmore/Maytag pedestal?
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:30:07 GMT, Wlm Singleton
The group where that thread was was alt.home.repair .
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 02:43:52 -0400, mm wrote:

I also called Whirlpool/Costco customer care at 866-403-5448 and they said nobody ever asked if both the washer and dryer could be stacked on a single pedestal. They said I "could try it to see if it worked" but that seems kind of risky to me.
I also asked snipped-for-privacy@costco.com and they said to contact Whirlpool, hence completing the useless cycle. So I'm asking YOU!
Has ANYONE on earth ever stacked a washer & dryer on a pedestal?
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:45:03 -0700, Wlm Singleton wrote:

Nithing here either. http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/usappliance/wed8500sdim.pdf
Are you asking if you can stack the dryer on top of the washer, and then those two on top of a single pedestal?
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:05:47 -0400, Proctologically Violated wrote:

Yes. I don't see anywhere where it says you can or can not do this given the standard Whirlpool pedestal.
While I can find the Whirlpool Duet Sport Stack Kit (8541503), I can't find the bracket that braces the pedestal to the stacked Whirlpool Duet Sport washer (WTW8410SW) & dryer (WED8410SW).
Anyone who installs a washer & dryer would run into this in the first month of deliveries as I can't be the ONLY person in the world who wants to stack a washer & dryer on a pedestal, can I?
I'm 5'6 so the only problem might be getting to the controls though.
I really don't see why not. It is true, that you would be loading the single pedestal more than perhaps was intended, but my intuition tells me you could load 5 washers on those things, without a problem. And, a dryer is lighter than the washer, considerably so. And, the dryer would serve to further stabilize the washer on the pedestal.
imo, no problem whatsoever. Some might argue, Oh, now the center of gravity of the dryer is too high, blah blah, but that's not really an issue for dryers. It is an issue for a washer, because of the very fast spins, and the dryer on top of the washer actually helps in this regard.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

My washer moves during spin. Particularly if there is a very heavy load (such as when comforters are in). If that happens, and the washer/ dryer combo move off the base and collapse on a child, serous consequences could occur.
NA wrote:

The washer is screwed to the pedestal base. Since I own a Whirlpool Duet on pedestals, I measured just where the dryer door would be if stacked upon the washer sitting on a pedestal. The bottom of the dryer opening would be 72 inches from the ground. The dryer controls would be 7 feet from the floor. And there would be no way to get anything out of the dryer unless you were almost 7 feet tall or standing on a ladder. While the Duet and its lookalikes are stackable, I think putting the stack on a pedestal is just foolish, especially if you're only 5'6" as the OP has said. If he's that limited on space, the Duet style isn't right for him.
--
Grandpa

Why not stack them without the pedestal? I'd put my wife on a pedestal, but not my washing machine.
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:31:34 -0400, mm wrote:

Yep. That's my only option as it doesn't seem, from the answers here, that the washer and dryer and pedestal are all stackable.
If I stack the washer (36 inches) under the dryer (36 inches), that makes the controls a maximum of 6 feet high. Since I'm 5'6", the controls will be just about at eye level since they're not at the tippy top of the unit.
Does that calculation make sense to you?
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:08:59 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Both the washer and dryer are 36 inches tall and the pedestal at Costco is 13 inches. That would put the bottom of the washer at 49 inches which is an inch over four feet. Since I'm 5'6", it seemed like the dryer door handle would be at around 67 inches (13 + 36 + 1/2*36) which is just about how tall I am.
I did wonder about the controls, which would be over my head.
But, since most of you have stated I can't stack the washer and dryer on the pedestal (I wish I could find that in writing by Whirlpool), I'll gain 13 inches which puts the controls just under the six foot point which should be about six to nine inches above my eyes.
On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:08:08 -0700, NA wrote:

I don't disbelieve you. I'd just like to see something (anything) from Whirlpool in writing that says we shouldn't stack the washer and dryer on a pedestal.

My washer moves during spin. Particularly if there is a very heavy load (such as when comforters are in). If that happens, and the washer/ dryer combo move off the base and collapse on a child, serous consequences could occur.
Good point, but easily covered by fastening the combined unit to the wall near the top.
Actually had to do that with a new stove/range, as they are now so light (thin crappy metal and plastic) a bit of pressure on the door when opened tilted the whole unit even with the "included" floor brace supposedly for that purpose. (it actually bent)
Wlm Singleton wrote:

A couple of questions that occur to me that should be checked: (a) what weight is the pedestal rated for? (b) what is the combined weight of the dryer and washer?
Weight problems could well be one reason you can't find any references to folks having done it before.
Yours aye, W. Underhill
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

My sales training, selling these at Sears, was that you could not stack both units on a single pedestal. Having seen and set a pedestal up on the sales floor, they don't seem to be substantial enough for the job.
Tom G.

How high is this pedestal?
What would be the point if the top will come out more than 7 feet high? Why not skip the pedestal?
Why can't the washer sit on the floor, like mine does and every one I've seen since 1957? (The one we had before that said on a wooden orange crate, because the basement flooded. Is that the reason?)

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 00:40:10 -0400, mm wrote:

The Costco Whirlpool Duet Sport pedestals are 13 inches tall: http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200702/?pg=8
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid 197499&whse&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US
However, the factory Whirlpool pedestals (sans drawer) are 10 inches and 15 inches tall (depending on which ones we buy):
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=CUSTOM+LAUNDRY+OPTIONS&cat@4&prod 01 http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=CUSTOM+LAUNDRY+OPTIONS&cat@4&prod 00
The actual washer & dryer are 36 inches tall Depth: 30 in. Width: 27 in. Maximum Height: 36 in. http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZUSECARE/8540321.pdf http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZDIMENSION/8540321-D-WH.pdf Note: These service manuals are for the 8500 which seems to be the closest thing to the Costco Duet Sport (sans the water heater).

No. Mainly, as the ad copy says below, so we don't have to bend as much.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid 182148&whse&topnav=&cat=&s=1 ... "Convenient storage pedestals raise the Duet Washer and Dryer 13" above floor height, so you don't have to bend to load and unload your laundry. The spacious drawer is large enough to store your detergent, bleach, dryer sheets and more."...