Can Toshiba tube TV be repaired now days?

Page 1 of 2
My brother has a nice 27" tube TV (flat screen) that has gone bad. The unit is only abt 6 years old.
They were watching it Sat night and the picture shrank down to one thin horizontal line that stretches across the screen. In other words. it has no vertical scanning I think.
He said I could have this TV if I wanted it but I live in a rural area and no where to take it to have it fixed!
So.... questions:
1. What is the part that has failed in this set given its symptoms?
2. Is it worth fixing it? If yes, where can I get the part and could I install it myself?
Thanks!!
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:26:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

TVs are like Bic lighters. You can fix them but it is seldom worth trying.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'll second that....There could be any number of "parts" which have failed, or perhaps just became disconnected because of a cracked solder joint.
It ain't like the olde vacuum tube sets of the 50s I used to repair back then. yYu could at least see all the components without a magnifier, and they had easily read identifying part numbers/values marked on them.
Give it up...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Ok thanks
I was hoping that everything would be "modular" inside...so would be a matter of just puling a module out and sticking a new one in there.
But sounds like its not.... so will just shit can it I guess. Too bad

No. They are not really designed to be repaired. If you find a good (older) local TV repair tech, they likely can repair it. It may take some time as they may not have the parts handy. Frankly I would not bother. You might get that fixed and then the HV might go out the following week.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

I had a fairly new set die, I took it to the repair guy too look at. I told him if he could fix it for $75 or less, fix it. He did, now I have a nice extra set. I also told him to junk it if it was more than $75 to fix. In my case it worked out good to fix it.

Junk it, yeah right.
They would replace the 50 cent part and then sell it in their "show room".
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Yes, the cracked solder joint is about the only thing worth looking at or fixing. A common issue with Sony stuff, where stress cracks form in the solder around component pins due to thermal cycling. Easy to identify with a magnifying glass and if found the fix is to just resolder every connection and the item normally works fine for another decade.

OK ..... question for the group
Would anyone even 'consider" buying a new TUBE TV now days?
Or would YOU strictly buy flat panels only if buying new?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Other than the small-screen mainland China junk at Wally World, I don't even see glass TVs in the stores around here any more. Haven't seen new glass computer monitors anywhere, in a couple of years.
-- aem sends...

Yes I was talking abt small glass tube TV's such as the 20" units form RCA at Walmart
Would you even buy one of those or just add another $200 and go LCD?
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 09:06:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Hmmm $50 vs $250 for a TV with the same picture size. I think I will take the $50 one.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Anything is repairable if economy is not considered. LCD TV uses less energy for one reason. What is symptom any way? No picture or sound or both?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

A 20" crt based sdtv at Walmart with built in dvd player costs $200
A good 22" LCD HDTV without built in DVD player runs $360
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:35:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I paid $49 for the last Wal-Mart CRT TV I bought. No DVD player tho, just a TV. We have it out in the Tiki bar tuned to the weather radar most of the time.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

what size CRT TV is it?
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:10:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

14" or so
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:07:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I seem to remember seeing some like that (actually $49.95 is much closer to $50, so I'll call it $50) before they were required to put in ATSC tuners.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Jun 11, 11:12 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's always easier to spend other peoples money, isn't it? lol
Only crt's for me.. But they are getting harder to find. When you walk by a flat panel in the store you feel alot of heat. No heat problem with my crt's..