Can this air compressor be repaired?

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair this kind of damage or is it shot?

Reply to
taxpayer779

It is probably starting to rust out at the bottom. The weakest point just gave way and if you repair that spot it is highly likely that the next weakest spot will show up shortly.

Reply to
Leon

I think that's nature's way of telling you to buy a new compressor. Usually there are tanks around with dead compressors on them, maybe you can find one and make a 2-for-1 kind of fix.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The tank is shot.

Reply to
TBone

If you got one pinhole more are probably on the way. Think about replacing the tank if the rest of the unit works well. For a temproary repair you could put a blob of epoxy on a sheet metal screw and screw it into the hole.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

My neighbor, who sells industrial air compressors for a living, has a rule: Never repair tanks. Any tank in need of repair is too dangerous to keep around.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I agree, but feel compelled to note that asking a salesman if you should buy something new, is like asking your barber if you need a haircut.

Pressure tanks should _never_ be repaired. Even low pressure tanks like a compressor uses - there is way too much energy stored in there to risk anything with it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Replace the tank if the rest is working OK

John

Reply to
John

The tank is most likely rusted out. If it's more than 10-15 years old, time to replace it. If you'd rather attempt a repair, sand/clean the hole area down to the metal (about the size of a quarter) and mix up a small batch of the epoxy JB Weld. I've been waiting for the day that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not to be used past 2007.

Reply to
Phisherman

I also agree but feel compelled to note that often the Pharmaceutical Sales Rep knows more about the new drugs than the Pharmacist.

Reply to
patrick conroy

...and the EMTs know more about how to remove a motorcycle helmet than the ER docs. Yup.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Can the tank now!

Your tank holds pressure but the fact that you have a breach is indicative that the structural integrity of the tank is well beyond it's safety margin. When an air tank blows it is like a bomb going off, complete with shrapnel.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

What is so hard about opening the little vale on the bottom of the tank?

They also make automatic drains if you want to spend a few bucks.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Not hard, but easy to forget sometimes. I am not sure if I'm done with air at any given time, and there are many days I don't even use the compressor. Where can I get an automatic drain?

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
bridger

You really shouldn't offer this kind of advice. Just because you claim that it is hazardous does not make you any less libel if someone follows it and gets hurt. That tank is dangerous and should be discarded and the same goes for the one you repaired.

Reply to
TBone

I agree that the suggested repair is ill advised but I have to question the liability of the poster. This comes up quite a bit in these forums but have you ever heard of an individual being held liable for posting something in a newsgroup? Or for giving any bad advise?

BTW, every time I see it, I love your sig line more and more.

BTW, every time I see it, I love your sig line more and more.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I guess that it depends on the people involved but I have seen people sue for less an sometimes win.

LOL, thanks.

Reply to
TBone