Can't get new florescent bulbs to work... ideas????

I just replaced the two florescent bulbs in our kitchen light fixture. The old ones suddenly just stopped working. I put the two new ones in, and they won't come on. Dead as a doornail. I measured the output voltage at the ends of the fixture, and they're all putting out a little over 4 volts.
This is a fairly new fixture, about 8 years old. It has one ballast in the middle. Any ideas?
Thanks, Ron M.
"Ron M." wrote:

Ballast would be first thought...

Mine too. Check the prices before you buy. Some fixtures are cheaper than a good ballast.
I have an under counter light in the kitchen that also serves as a night light. When the bulb burns out, I can buy a new fixture for $1 more than just a bulb.

You forgot to pay your electric bill !!!!
You heard this from "The Source" !
Check to see that you have 120 volts at the ballast (primary side) if you do it's probably the ballast. If you don't, check the switch

Ron M. wrote:

I will add one more thing, in addition to the ballast and power supply problems, you may have a bad ground. While that seems less likely based on your measurement of 4 volts (that's what is making me and others suspect the power supply to the lamp. Even a disconnected circuit can show a few volts due to induction.) it is possible.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

By any chance are these fixtures hidden from view, above a drop-ceiling? If so, kitchen moisture can creep into that unheated/unventilated space, causing the contacts on both the bulbs and the fixture to eventually glaze over.
Unc