florescent bulbs and timers?

i have 3 different areas i want to use florescent bulbs, two of which are w/ timers, but the box says not to use them w/ timers. these are lower wattage than the regular bulbs that are in use now. why can't these florescent bulbs be use here?

the other place i want to use one is outside in an inclosed fixture,under an awning covering the back door, is this a suitable place for a florescent bulb?

mike............

Reply to
JerseyMike

Timers often use electronic switching which is not compatable with "reactive" loads such as flourescent ballasts. If you can find a timer with relay switching, it should work fine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Sure. All our outdoor lights (ten in all) are florescent. All ten draw about as much power as one 100-watt incandescent bulb.

Reply to
HeyBub

Some timers are suitable for fluorescent, some are not; check the package. Some fluorescent bulbs can be use outside other can't; check the package. That said, I have use bulbs that can't be used outdoors outside and they have worked fine.

Reply to
Toller

the timers i want to use are the regular lamp timers, where the colck dial spins and there are little pegs that are set at the chosen time, which to me seem like little on/off switches. would this type be ok for the bulbs??

mike..........

Reply to
JerseyMike

Those almost certainly are mechanical switches and should work fine. Do they make a significant "click" as they switch? If so, they should be mechanical.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Some flourescent bulbs will start slowly in cold temps.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I sure have experience with one of those. They make a click - almost a "thunk". They are OK with fluorescents.

Don Klipstein

I have used the clock dial/peg type (makes a click at on/off) of timer for many (close to 30) years to operate flourescent fixtures on my various aquariums. I am currently using a digital timer (no click), which has performed just fine for the past year or so, to operate 4 36" flourescent fixtures (30W bulb/fixture) on my 125 gallon tank. The fixtures (and tank) are about 2 years old, so older flourescents may not work with the digital timer. I got the digital timer after my 10+ year old clock type timer died. It had been used on several tanks over the years and I put it on the 125 gallon tank when I set it up where it served until it just quit working a little over a year ago - I figure that the contacts just wore out as the dial was still turning.

Later, Mike (substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

----------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.

Reply to
Michael Strickland