Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner?

Page 2 of 2
Don't buy from big box,department or "vacuum cleaner" stores. They sell the cheapest lines they can get. The planned obsolescence theory in action!. Go to A real custodial supply store and look over the commercial vac's they sell.Ask to try them out. Commercial grade Hoover,Oreck, Minuteman,Sanitaire Etc. are not cheap! You will pay in excess of 300 bucks but they will last. I have run commercial cleaning crews for over 20 years and I have A Hoover that was an old machine when I took over the crew. Still runs well. Only the beater bar,belts,bags and motor brushes have been changed. To make A machine last empty or change the bag often. My crews are instructed to change or empty bags every week or sooner if they vac up drywall dust. Blow out the motor 2 or 3 times A year. I blow out every motor every month in the 15 to 20 vacs we use. Don't overtax the motor by setting the beater bar too close to the carpet. That's why the vac has setting for height. Use them properly.
Good Luck H.R.
I got a Dyson Animal (the purple one) in January and LOVE it! It picks up our Lab's hair like you wouldn't believe - and I have to vacuum at LEAST once a week, sometimes 3-4 depending on how bad she's shedding. I got a refurbished one for $400, free shipping, from an online place in Chicago. Can't remember the name of the site.
AJDupree wrote:

I have 2 friends that rave about their Dyson's, because of their pets. :)
Since I don't have pets, I recently bought another Eureka for 2 reasons however. No. 1) I refuse to pay %600 for something I hate to do; and 2) Eureka Boss Model 4870 was rated Consumer Digest's Best Buy at $150-$165.
Plus my last Eureka upright had worked for 10 yrs., until my daughter got a hold of it recently. :\\
Guess it depends on what you can afford, and prefer in features/accessories. Good luck... bj
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

What abt the commercial model Eureka Sanitaire sold at Sam's club?
I haven't looked at the one's at Sams Club as I am not A member but you should be able to find out at the manufacturers web site the model numbers and if they are the same you should be good to go. would be cautious of numbers that were "almost" the same though as they might be pulling the trick that H.D. does with Lincoln welding machines. The numbers are "almost" the same as the ones at the welding supply stores but you can see they are built cheaper than the real pro models. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I am home only on my days off. I live 85 miles from work so I stay in town on work days.
H.R.
fnord wrote:

I did a fair amount of research about a year ago, looking for a good carpet upright. After reading enough opinions to make my head spin, I ended up buying a Sebo. My wife just loves it. Reasonably light weight. "Commercial" motor. Easy bag changes. Folds down for easy vacuuming under beds, etc.
I can't testify to longevity myself, but many other people talked them up as being very long term reliable.
Manufacturers's page here:

How much?

Does it absolutely *have* to be an upright?
I'm still using an Electrolux "Automatic G" canister vacuum that my parents bought new in 1961. This model is still available, occasionally, on eBay.
--
Regards,

Electrolux
Been here, done this. I had (and still have) a Kirby...it does OK.
However, I also have a SEBO vacuum...and that one does a helluva better job than the Kirby, and the Kirby is good.
The SEBO has an automatically adjusted beater-bar/brush that automatically adjusts to the carpet height....why is this important....it keeps the correct amount of suction so that the dirt is "really" vacuumed.
I vacuum with both, and always feel the Kirby is the better of the two. And get this, it costs less than a Kirby...I paid about $600.00 for the SEBO. Good luck
Mark

fnord wrote:

rather than looking at vacuums. How often and for how long a period do you use the vacuum and do you use the correct settings for the floor? Is some one using the vacuums on long extension cords or great distance from the main with too small wiring?
I've never seen any vacuum that didn't last at least 5 years and most seem to last 10,15, or 20 years. Even our first cheap role around is still being used in my garage and to vacuum cars and it is 30 years old. That said, our current Hoover (was top of the line) is more than 5 years old and ours works perfectly as well a friends down the street and the MIL's (all the same model).

Yep, Kirby. We have an old one bought for $400 (used) about 20 years ago. It works great. Of course it gets plugged up once in a while....learn how to take apart the carpet head to clean the brushes yourself or to put on a new rubber band to drive the roller. Or take it in to a Kirby vacuum repair place and let them go through it and fix stuff (may need new brushes in the motor etc.) The Kirby's are guaranteed for life. If you bought one new you would never have to buy another. My son is selling Kirbys for a summer job. New they are veddy veddy expensive. But they last a lifetime because they are so well made. Find a used one and buy it. It comes with a hose and tools to do wood floors, upholstry, refridgerator coils etc.
We went through about 5 $80 vacuums like Kenmore, Hoover, Eureka, etc. in about 2 years ($400 wasted). We bought an Oreck for about $250 2 years ago. Included about 20 free bags, a free powerful small canister type vacuum with attachments for getting in tight places (great for cars too), and a free cordless clothes iron. The Oreck is wonderful. It's VERY powerful. It sucks up a ton of gunk, so you'll be changing bags more often. And it's lightweight. Stay away from all the shiny hunks of plastic vacuums at Target, Kmart, etc..
-