Can and LED floodlight possibly be as bright as a real floodlight?

Well I went to all three pages, and searching on smith, none listed a.o.smith at all.

But I remember the clincher reason I thought that's what it was. The first owner of the house left me the owners manual for the original water heater, by aosmith, and the manual was amost identical to the one that came with both of my Sears water heaters. Same text, same fonts, same graphics

I'll check these out.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, I noticed that. However, it seems that Sears/Kenmore does sell AO Smith water heaters. Here's replacement parts for one AO Smith model from the Sears web site: and Sears repair service for AO Smith products: A clue might be that the Sears parts page shows the water heater by the AO Smith model number (ESM30) and not by the Sears style part number. The web page shows parts for 205 assorted AO Smith water heaters: none of which show a Sears style part number.

AO Smith also posts some of their instruction manuals:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The ones that are good enough to be as bright, can be twenty or thirty bucks per bulb. But, if it means not having to go 24 feet up, might be worth it.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It was the HOA's idea to put this light on my house, for secuirty reasons, because I live right next to the path that goes into the woods. (It used by JHS boys going in one direction, and HS boys going in the other, to their respective schools, but 2 years ago a big tree fell down blocking the path, with no good way to go around it, and now only one or two kids use it. ).

The HOA people were looking at the house in the next building too, but I wanted it here, so I could turn it off when I wanted too (not that I ever have.) And they pay me $10 per quarter for the electricity I use. It's been 20 years. I think they still do that. And the first time the bulbs burnt out, I called the HOA and they sent a whole electrician, with a ladder. Think how much that must have cost, just to change a lightbulb. And I think I called once more when the fixture itself had problems, but after that I couldn't bring myself to call them. Now I'm going to look at it that the 10 dollars a quarter is much more than the electricity costs, but it will eventually pay for the fixture. 2 1/4years I guess. And the work I put in. Another year. And then it can start paying for the time they towed my car away for no good reason, and the time they threatened to.

Reply to
micky

I was discussing a *gas* HWH, where you do want the heat from the burner to be conducted through the tank to the water.

I was thinking of the hot spots you could get with a gas HWH if the plastic isn't in complete contact with the tank.

Reply to
Jerry Peters

Center posted, like yours. Someone should fine the HOA for the uncleared tree. Yes, I've heard about HOA and towing cars, seems to be a major passion of theirs. I don't remember the details, but I do know some folks who were visiting out of town. The folks said fine to park in front of the house while you stay over night. Car missing in Am, $130 plus tow bill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No. Refrigerators always heat the kitchen, they have condensers as well and ALL the heat removed from the interior and the operating losses are added to the room heat.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

LOL. I hope not. I liked the kids and didn't mind them walking by, but I'm happy the tree blocks their path. One or two of them would ride their bikes on the grass, at least one of them even when the ground was wet. One rider did about 10 times as much damage as one walker, and one rider when it was wet did about 100 or 1000 times as much damage.

Anyhow, the land beyond mine is owned by Warren Buffett. I just learned this a while back when the developer-apparent of a small old farm nearby talked about who he dealt with concerining drainage from his property to the stream. Well, he didnt deal with Buffet but with someone from his company, maybe MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company's HomeServices of America.

Oh, yeah. They'd tow away your house, if they could.

Darn.

Reply to
micky

I wasn't suggesting that you measure the temperature of the back of the refrigerator. Just the case temperatures, which means the sides, front, and possibly the top. The coils in back will certainly heat up the wall and the back of the case, but I don't think it's huge because the room and room air make a rather large heat sink.

It's easy enough to estimate how much heat the fridge delivers to the room. A fancy new energy efficient 18 cubic foot fridge uses about

500 kw-hr/year or an average of: 500 kw-hr/year * 1yr/365days = 1.4 kw-hr/day Over 24 hrs, that's the equivalent of: 1400 watt-hrs/day / 24 hrs/day = 57 watts That's about the same heat that would be delivered by a 60 watt light bulb running all day in the same room. Like I mumbled... not much heat. Older fridges are not that efficient, but even 3 to 5 times as much heat would not make much of a difference in room temperature. I just checked my bar size fridge with a thermocouple thermometer. The front door is the same as ambient at 17C while the top and sides are about 20C. So, for a decent fridge, you're correct and the sides are warmer. However, I've seen refrigerators that were sweating condensed water and felt seriously cold on the sides and door. Sears took it back and replaced it with one that had more insulation, which worked as expected. Since then, I've seen a few others that were cold to the touch.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Eventually, the guys at church will use a couple more of the flood lights that are as bright as a "real" one. I'll try and take home one of the boxes. Will let you know what brand and model and so on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Eventually they should be. Right now they waste energy (produces heat but not enough light) with transforming. I understand they will be doing pure transistor voltage clipping which should be a heck of a lot more efficient and produce fewer heat issues. This from asking dumb questions at trade shows and fully understanding the folks at the booths might not really know. I have a few 200W incandescents at home and haven't quite been able to replace them. Then again I'm just a Chem Engr who took two oblig EE courses and grew up with two vaccuum-tube-educated (photoypesetting and avionics) EE uncles.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

A rather late follow-up.....

When I was very young, my uncle had a book that showed you how to make things out of folded paper, One was 'working' kettle, and I remember pestering my mother to help me make it up, then to boil some water in it over a candle flame.

Reply to
Ian Jackson