Can a metal stud wall support a 52" flatscreen

I think I know the answer to this (NO!) but buddy who did the wall for me says that he can insert wood into the metal stud and then lag-bolt the TV mount to that. I want to believe him but that is why I am here: will a 2 foot length of wood in a metal stud support a 100 pound TV? Where does the support come from if the wood isn't running ceiling to floor? Etc...

Any thoughts from the group (especially the framers out there!)

Reply to
Edee em

You don't just have a metal stud. Presumably, you have a wall with multiple studs at a standard spacing, covered with sheetrock, etc. In that case, even without using an additional wood support, the load is spread out and carried across multiple studs. The studs are also prevented from deflecting by the support of the sheetrock. Distributing 100lbs over multiple studs should not be a problem. I'd make sure whatever bracket is behind the TV is securely screwed to at least 2 studs.

Reply to
trader4

ACTUALLY, if you hit the metal studs, a couple of toggle bolts will do the job. No wood required.

S. Barker

The real issue is how far out from the wall is the flat screen...if the bracket picks up two studs & the TV mounts more or less flat to the wall... a few Tek screws into the studs will do the trick.

If the TV hangs off the wall like ~12" then i'd be more concerned.

The gauge of the studs is also an issue...20 gage ( 22, 24) are pretty thin & screw pullout is a concern.

Thicker studs; 18 & 16 gage are really very reliable with respect to screw pullout.

If you still have access to the steel framing, your buddy's idea of putting two wood backers into the steel studs is fine.

The steel studs are very strong vertically but locally (screw pullout & local bending) then are potentially weak. Putting the wood inside them will stiffen then up & give the lags something to embed in.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

My guess would be no more that 5". My 50" Panasonic is 4".

Reply to
Dave Bugg

My BIL has a 52" mounted on an adjustable / swivel bracket that bring the screen about 12" off the wall.

I simplified my life & my 40" sits on a flat screen table / stand.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

A 50" plasma and mount can be held with molly bolts in a metal stud. Check the company site. RTM.

Four 4" lag bolts is good or even six is better in wood!!

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

I'm Curious: How is he going to put the wood in the studs? Safe to assume the wall has not been sheetrocked yet?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Appropriate wood backers will be more than adequate.

Reply to
DanG

I'm curious as well. I was going to suggest a well-trimmed and finished

3/4 plywood panel applied to the wall with lots of long countersunk sheetmetal screws, and hang the TV off that.(You could even cut out part of the rock, use 1/2 ply instead, and flush the wood in to make it vanish completely.) Make it just shorter than the vertical height of TV, and as wide you can to go across as many stud bays as possible. About the same way stuff was hung off old plaster lath walls. But if wall is open, even on one side, you could put massive blocks in the stud spaces and stiffen the hell out of the wall.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

If it's a house The studs are most likely a light gauge. What I would do I would add extra studs were you want to mount the T.V. Then solid metal backing over those studs ( your framer should know how to do this)to catch the support area for the T.V. Most backing I've seen is 6" wide, but in some instances they will use a solid piece of sheet (say like 24" wide 4' long) metal. I have even seen metal studs covered with 3/4" ply for backing . there's a lot of ways to solve how to hang a flat screen.

Reply to
Sac Dave

The support will still be the metal stud. The wood is just a backer to hold the lags in place and spread the load over a portion of the stud. Sheetmetal screws may pull out if just into a thin stud. I just saw doors being hung by putting in a wood backer where the hinges will be.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski