Calling any air-conditioner experts

[All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk]
Just a general question on a subject that seems to have no newsgroup of it's own...
With regard to split system air-conditioners, does anyone know how the newer ceiling/wall units perform as compared to more traditional wall-mount models. The apparent theory is that they sit higher on the wall and tuck in discretely in the corner between the ceiling and the wall. They certainly look smarter, and she-that-must-be-obeyed is very keen on them, but I can't find any information regarding their performance, either in-store or online. Are they more or less reliable, efficient, or noisy?
All opinions greatly appreciated.

it's
newer
in
can't
online.
Just to clarify - both units are split systems with the compressor in a separate unit outside the box. The only fundamental difference is the location of the long rectangular interface on the wall (as opposed to the all in one box units which many seem to be referring to). Sorry if I didn't make this clear at first.