Call blockers

Page 2 of 3  
Per Frank:

- The phone companies are making money on those calls.
- Things get more complicated when those calls originate offshore and go through multiple VOIP relays. (whatever *those* are.... but I've got a half-dozen lame letters from the Pennsylvania AG's office citing that as the reason they no longer can do anything.
OTOH, I have to think it's a money/resources thing because it would seem that they could set up honey pots and prosecute once money changes hands.
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/7/2016 10:28 AM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

And, should ISP's be fined for delivering unwanted email? Who decides what is "unwanted"?
The best market driven solution is to charge a fee -- payable to the recipient! -- to deliver the call. The recipient can then *waive* that fee (press '*', etc.).
So, friends/folks you want to hear from you learn to press '*' as a matter of common courtesy. If you forget, you promptly call them back and "ding" yourself for a call -- which cancels out the call for which you negligently billed them!
Telemarketers can factor that cost into the price of their wares. Unwanted contacts would have to find some way to *induce* you to waive the fee; if you simply hang up on them, they get dinged!
Let the phone company get a commission on these charges -- for the service they have provided.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 1:02:45 PM UTC-8, Don Y wrote:

Nope, because unwanted e-mails aren't against FCC rules (AFAIK)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Per Don Y:

I have always suspected that telephone solicitor calls to cell phones of people in various European countries (where the caller pays for the air time) are rare.
Anybody know ?
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Per Don Y:

That is the most sensible-sounding solution I have heard so far - from anybody, anywhere.
"Sounding" because I have no clue as to the technological or political (think industry "lobbying") ins-and-outs of it.
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I got one and I love it. Well, I like it. Instructions are piss poor and the user interface is worse. But, it deals with calls that I have programmed in, and then they seem to stop calling. I get new ones, but fewer, and then I program those in too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 11:34:52 AM UTC-6, taxed and spent wrote:

I've had one now about 3 years and couldn't do without it. If it should die on me I'd be online buying another one pronto.
The instructions are not fabulous but easily enough to be understood and it has cut those robo calls to almost nil. When a new one arrives it immediately gets blacklisted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 11:48:44 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Any form, website or company that requires a phone number gets my landline number. Any person or entity that I trust and *want* to hear from gets my cell phone number.
My landline phone has a built-in answering machine, i.e. not voicemail. I *never* answer my landline because no call to that number ever needs immediate attention.
Rough (made up) numbers:
90% of the time the landline rings and no message is left after the machine announces the default "We are not available" message.
10% of the time, a message is left and I deal with it at my convenience. Since it's a regular answering machine, i.e. not voicemail, it's just a matter of a few buttons to listen, skip, erase, etc. I don't have to dial in to voicemail and listen to annoying voice prompts to handle the messages.
On my cell phone, if I don't recognize the number (rare) I just let it go to voicemail and check it later.
My system seems to be working because I am not bothered by telemarketers or robo-calls on my cell phone and I just delete the few that end up on my landline answering machine.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/7/2016 2:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I do the same thing with both land line and cell phone.
Occasionally, I'll get a call on the land line and the caller ID will show my husbands name on it, but he's sitting in the living room watching tv. How can someone spoof his name like that?
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 12:49:24 PM UTC-8, Muggles wrote:

Possible evidence that your husband has been taken over by the "pod people"?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/7/2016 2:54 PM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:

LOL
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 14:49:24 -0600

any common sysop can explain that to you. Oh wait you claim to have been one, then you should know.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/7/2016 3:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

I, too, have gotten calls from myself.
Wife gets mad at me because I often pick up and become a loose cannon.
Never know myself what I might say.
She tells me I could go to jail for asking to speak to a white person or something like that.
I tell her that if they come after me, I will be called a national hero ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2016 11:16 AM, Frank wrote:
<snip> > I, too, have gotten calls from myself.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2016 1:16 PM, Frank wrote:

LOL I like you're approach!
--
Maggie

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 11:48:44 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

If you're willing to change your phone service, Ooma VOIP has extensive call blocking choices, everything from your own personal list, to one that Ooma generates, etc. You'd have to get their premier service, which is about $14 a month. The eqpt is $120, or there ones available on Ebay for half that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Per KenK:

My little personal obsession is that Challenge-Response is the only workable solution - for now.
e.g.
"Ring, Ring" (but the phone's ringer is silent at this point)
"Hello, this is the Smith's. Press 1 for Joe, Press 2 for Sue..... and so-forth"
Ideally, you accompany that feature with a Gold List so that known callers do not get the prompt and the phone just rings until you or the answering machine answers it.
Either way you need to train people you know to press, for instance, "9" or "88".... or whatever to make the phone ring.
Depending on how it's set up, failure would flip the caller to an answering machine or just hang up on them.
Yeah, it's a hassle.... but so is a 5:1 ratio for junk calls to legit calls.... and I am about *that* far from implementing it via my VOIP provider.
--
Pete Cresswell

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
KenK wrote:

I've been using CPR Call Blocker for a couple of years now, I'm very happy with it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 11:48:44 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I dumped my landline and put my cell phone on "airplane mode" at bedtime.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Friday, January 8, 2016 at 4:17:56 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Is that the poor man's version of the Mile High Club? ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.