Burglar alarms and home security

Page 2 of 4
On 4/6/2012 2:58 PM, Home Guy wrote:

I guess I am confused. You imagine you live in a perfect place where there is sunshine every day and the animals sing. So why did you go through the effort to install an alarm in your perfect place?

- and having an alarm makes it less likely you will be broken into - and more likely that IF broken into the theif will leave empty-handed - and do less damage. I've installed a good half dozen alarm systems over the years - plus alarms on several vehicles. The alarm at the shop caught the guy who had been breaking into auto repair shops in the area the FIRST NIGHT it was in operation - and before he even got the door open. He was still trying to pry open the (un-used, bolted) rear door of the shop when the cops responded to the glass breakage detector that went off when he drove over the service bell hose in front of the shop that the boss had forgoten to shut off when he left the shop!!! They got there, did their walk-around, and caught the guy busy with his crowbar.
On 4/6/2012 4:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I am really confused now. "home guy" says EVERYONE in Canada knows that it is superior to the US and you don't?

Rebel1 wrote:

Hi, How about a good trained guard dog. No matter how good security shield you deploy, bad guys are always one step ahead of you. I have a live-in domestic helper and a professionally trained guard dog. Alarm system is very seldom armed.
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 05:57:37 -0400, "Robert Green"

collar that openned the "doggy door" and the on-demand feeder, so they could leave the dog at home alone for a week or too with no problem. They left for a week's holiday and the first or second night they were gone a guy broke in. The dog cornered him in the livingroom and put the "fear of the lord" in him. The dog could eat without loosing sight of him - and could also hang his ass out the door to do his business, but the poor bugger who broke in couldn't move 6 feet without risking having some important parts dissapear. When they returned the guy was very dehydrated, very tired,very stinky, and VERY pissed off!!
On Apr 7, 7:48am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If he claimed breaking in to seek shelter [since he has not left with any items yet]; it's a misdemeanor.
I wonder if he could sue?
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 09:02:38 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

relatively built up area. Could he sue? possibly. Could he win? Unlikely - he had a rap sheet.
I should have added that there are a lot of deer in my area, and they trigger the motion sensor at the front of my garage that turns on a pair of floodlights. So I can't rely on motion sensors to distinguish between a car, deer, or people.
Lot sizes in my area are 100x200 ft.

Having been in the security system business for the last 33 years I can give you several caveats:
1 A professional thief will get what he wants from your home with no real problems. The good news is it has to something very valuable for them to waste their time on. An alarm system will make them think long and hard before deciding to either attempt your place or the one done the street with no alarm system.
2 The cops take forever to respond in most alarm system activations. So my suggestion is the install an indoor siren. If you make the interior loud enough the amateurs burgulars will leave quickly.
3 Modern systems have battery backup that should be good for at least 72 hours without AC power.
4 Get a system that is centrally monitored. You will have the peace of mind that as soon as the system activates someone will be on duty to call the police. In the case of a false alarm while you are home, you can call them and give them your abort code which will stop them from dispatching the police or fire dept. I would add a cellular backup transmitter so that if the thieves cut the phone lines to your house, the signal will be sent to the central station anyway and the authorities will be dispatched.
5 Add at least 1 smoke detector to the system so if your home catches fire while you are away at least the fire dept. will respond, hopefully in time to prevent a total loss.
6 Connect all doors and operable windows to the system with magnetic sensors. I would also tamper the covers on the electrical and telephone panels so that the alarm would activate as soon as someone attempted to cut the power or phone lines.
7 Infrared motion detectors are a second line of defense in case the intruder gets past the door or window sensors somehow. If you have pets get a "dual-tech" style detector that is more resistant to false alarms from pets.
That pretty much covers the basics. I would contact a licensed alarm contractor to give you an estimate. At that point you can decide if you want to attempt the job yourself or let someone else do it. Make sure if you hire someone that they are bonded and have undergone a background check.
Hope this helps. Steve

alarm BEFORE they actually get inside if possible.
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 16:14:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Trying to recall the conversation I had about 14 years ago, I think what you said has to do with the type of windows. I admit tho, you are making me struggle to remember what I was told back then.
In my old house I think I had what you mentioned on my windows and in one case, I believe it saved my house from a break in. I was very glad I had an alarm.

from thingls like wind chimes, telephones, or doorbells.

[snip discussion of alternatives]
You left out the most obvious -- and most effective -- burglary deterrent there is: a dog. If they hear a barking dog inside a house, most burglars will just go somewhere else. They're looking for quick and easy pickings, not a hassle.
My wife and I are partial to Australian Shepherds, but herding dogs of nearly any breed are ideal for this purpose: they've been bred to alert, vigorously, to the presence of intruders, yet be gentle with their flock. This makes them excellent family dogs: they'll be friendly and playful with you [and your family, should your current situation of living alone ever change], but bark like the devil if a stranger comes to your door.
Doug Miller wrote:

I just lost our 10 yo Aussie shepherds. One of best dogs we had. It developed a severe case of diabetes, went blind last year and quit eating couple weeks ago. We had to have him put down. We already have replacement in the house. After, I found out this breed is prone to diabetes due to it's genetics. Don't let your dog go over weight, that is warning sign.
My friend, I have known people whose pets got diabetes. No fun at all. You can expect HeBe-ub to give you grief, now. Read the "who is it" thread to understand why.
Hi, I just lost our 10 yo Aussie shepherds. One of best dogs we had. It developed a severe case of diabetes, went blind last year and quit eating couple weeks ago. We had to have him put down. We already have replacement in the house. After, I found out this breed is prone to diabetes due to it's genetics. Don't let your dog go over weight, that is warning sign.

I have both a real dog (JRT) and an electronic dog:
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_pk9.htm
I'd consider the electrodog much more effective and easier to care for. (-: A much better solution for people who travel a lot. The new units are much more flexible than the older ones I have and this thread has spurred me to pick up a newer one.
There's also a unit out that simulates a TV using LEDs. Very low power drain and very useful to give a house that lived-in look.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
-- Bobby G.
lets all remember if someone wants in bad enough they will find a way: (
its best to keep a low profile, valuables not in plain site, dont tell anyone i have a diamond in the cookie jar, stuff like this is near free and mostly effective.
dead bot locks where the dead bolt goes not only thru the plate but into and thru a 2 by 4 stud wall saved me once.
having the home look lived in, with lights on timers etc, getting someone to pick up mail and phone books and trash left around yard helps too.
ultimattely if they want in bad enough they will get in.......
My friend, I think you're right. Of course, burglars are lazy. So, if your house is protected, they will go to a different house. You can expect HeBe-ub to give you grief, now. Read the "who is it" thread to understand why.
lets all remember if someone wants in bad enough they will find a way: (
its best to keep a low profile, valuables not in plain site, dont tell anyone i have a diamond in the cookie jar, stuff like this is near free and mostly effective.
dead bot locks where the dead bolt goes not only thru the plate but into and thru a 2 by 4 stud wall saved me once.
having the home look lived in, with lights on timers etc, getting someone to pick up mail and phone books and trash left around yard helps too.
ultimattely if they want in bad enough they will get in.......
bob haller wrote:

That's not a very rational or realistic piece of advice, because it's probably true that the average juvenille delinquent doesn't necessarily have a strong desire to enter any particular house. He just wants to enter at least ONE house as he trolls around looking for a candidate.

No, because they will rarely have any specific knowledge about what could be in your house to give them a strong desire to break-in in the first place.
So I question the idea that someone, anyone, will want to break into any house "bad enough". The only people that would ever want to break into your house "bad enough" are the police and firemen.
It's probably the case that the average juvenille delinquent who is out on a house-robbing adventure is going to troll through a neighborhood that is relatively far from where he lives. This is because he doesn't want to be recognized by any locals after the fact. As such, he won't have much of an opportunity to "case" any particular house if he follows this sort of behavior.
Robert Green wrote:

Totally irrelevant to the current conversation.
If you want to talk about person A going after person B with the intent to confront, harm, kill, etc, that is a completely different situation vs what can a home owner do to secure, deter and/or monitor his property / home from a break-in / theft point of view.