bulb burnt out with heat damage. Why?

Hi, we have one of those energy saving bulbs installed in a room. The bulb is installed on the ceiling light fixture, facing downwards. Recently it burnt out and when we were replacing it, we found signs of heat damage. Any idea why this would happen? Is it OK to deploy these bulbs on the celing, facing down?
Here are 2 pictures of the bulb: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/sets/72157627347401427 /
Thanks

By energy saving do you mean compaact fluuorescent? If yes, they must have ventilation, and also burn base down or horiizzontal. You mounted them in the worst possible environment.

I think I beat that environment. How about outside, in the sun, in a sealed glass jar. Must really get hot in there. I left it on continuous for over a year before failure. No browning. I use them in closed up ceiling lights, and I prefer it that way. I used to leave the hall light on all the time. I run 3 base up downstairs, on all the time. Never had a problem, except for infantile failure. They will be changed to different fixtures eventually. Just porcelain attached to joists.
Greg

You show the bulb, but not the fixture. If it is in a can, no, it should not be used. Open, they are OK, but do not last as long as it would base down.

The fixture is open can type.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:58:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

In a can you need to use PAR bulbs which are DESIGNED to run base up. Still don't last worth crap, but at least I haven't had any fail with heat damage. The PAR bulb replects the heat out the front (bottom when mounted base up)

That's pretty much the normal appearance of a compact fluorescent bulb which has reached end of life.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi, Heat? Over heating can damage things for sure. May be wrong type of fixture? Improve venting.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote the following:

The many DFLs in my house are mounted base down, base sideways, and base up. I have two desk lamps in front of me right now. One with the base sideways and the other with the base up. There are CFLs with base up in 4 ceiling cans with lenses. They have been in there for at least a year or more. None of them show any burn marks like yours, which looks like a 75 or 100 watt compatible.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

They will when they go bad. I've been using CFLs in my house for the last eight or nine years, and nearly every one that has failed looks remarkably similar to the photos posted by the OP. You just haven't had yours installed long enough for you to see that. By the time another year has passed, you will.

of course,it also depends on how a particular CFL is used,in terms of how long it's left on. a desk lamp may not be left on for long periods like a kitchen ceiling light or living room table lamp,or on-off like a hall or bedroom light.
I haven't seen any decent LED desk lamps yet. I may build one myself.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik