Buffalo, NY Celebrates Friday the 13th

Got your home storage? And does that include heat, light, shelter, shovels, medical, and so on? Buffalo gonna need a lot of repairing.
Buffalo, NY, has been shut down. As much as two feet of heavy, wet snow. Power cut to as many as 350,000 people. State of emergency, no travel. The snow started some time yesterday, and has finally shut the area down. At 4 PM on Friday as I write, the NYS Thruway is closed from exit 46 (Henrietta) to 59 (near PA line). Which is about 100 mile stretch of road.
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_4359.aspx
I found out when I went to a local (to me) hardware store. They were sold out of generators. I find out that they had been selling one every 10 minutes.
A couple friends of mine live on the north edge of the city, in Amherst. I'm certain they do not have any backup heat, except maybe the burners on the stove. They may have a candle or two. Yes, I telephoned, but got no answer. Most likely the telephone is also out. I'm still trying to contact them to see what I can do to help. Of course, that's hard to do with no telephone. If you have friends in that area, please check and see if they are OK.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

This was posted online by CNN at 12 PM today.
you're a bit late. :-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

We didn't get any snow at all in Rochester. Was it lake effect off Erie, or a storm that went north? I suppose it will all melt in a day or two, but that will just cause flooding. I wish you all well.

Not in Buffalo.they have pretty good drainage;right into Niagara River.

That much snow,it HAS to be Lake Effect. But I saw the weather radar recordings on the local Orlando news,and the storm went right up Lake Erie,thus;yes,lake effect.
Perhaps the beginning of an interesting winter?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Amherst is flat and full of clay. It'll be trouble when it melts because is will probably melt fast.
I'm down in the Southern Tier. All I can say is "better you than me". I was in the Hudson River Valley when the ice storm hit in Oct. of 87 or 88.

I used to live in Tonawanda,grew up there,and Amherst,Cheektowaga,and Depew were well-known to me. Lockport,too. (I just can't remember the name of that bar in Lockport on Transit just north of Millersport....had many good times there.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Killed the old brains cells there, heh?

either that or another "senior moment". ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young