Breeze from electrical panel

On windy days air blows into the house through the electrical service panel. The weather head appears to have a tight gasket so I'm assuming the air is entering through the meter box. Should the meter box seal completely or is there supposed to be another gasket in the pipe between the meter box and the service panel entrance? Who is financially responsible for this type of repair? Electric company or do I own the problem and need to call an electrician? Or perhaps just guck up the meter box with some silicone caulk?

Bob

Reply to
rck

You don't want to glue the meter box shut; someone will have to open it someday. I think I would plug the end of the service conduit where it enters the service panel. Stuff it with rockwool or something, then seal over it with electrical putty.

A squirt of expanding polyurethane foam would be easier and seal better, but I would be concerned if you ever have to service those wires they'll be glued in place. Maybe stuff it with rockwool and apply a thin cap of polyurethane foam?

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Fish tank sealer. Seals well, but remains soft enough that you can pull it out with needle nose pliers.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Stay away from the foams. Some will degrade the insulation of the wire. Your not very specific at where the leak is. The riser head is not air tight. The riser should end up in the meter location. That is purchased and installed by you. Now it belongs to the utility. Do not mess with it. You need to go to an electrical wholesaler and get materials for the job. Stuffing non rated materials in a panel could cause big problems if there is an arc/fault some day. We used to call it elephant snot.. I for the life of me can not remember the right name. I it is used to seal condoles or non explosion proof seal offs.

Reply to
SQLit

I can't say for sure where the air is originating but it is coming into the service panel through the pipe, not around the pipe. I'll head down to the local electrical supply house and explain what I want the sealer for. Even though they are a wholesaler selling primarily to tradesmen, they don't mind helping a do-it-yourselfer homeowner. No, I'm not going to rearrange the wires or pipe from the weatherhead to the meter. A wise man knows his limitations.

Bob

Reply to
rck

It's called duct seal and it comes in 1lb blocks . any electrical supplier will carry it as well as the big box stores

Bill

Reply to
... ...

According to ... ... :

I thought it was "DUX seal". Or maybe that's a specific brand name for it.

That is the _only_ material you should use for sealing conduit.

The OP should try to ensure that it's actually airflow _thru_ the conduit, rather than general air leak from the wall cavity thru the panel.

Air leakage thru the conduit can be a _major_ hazard.

A house two doors down from where we used to live burned down because of it. Caused heavy corrosion inside the panel, and that's what started the fire.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Yes, definitely coming in through conduit, enough breeze to blow out a match where conduit enters. No corrosion yet, house only 3 years old. I'll fix it this weekend, thanks for the help.

Bob

Reply to
rck