"Wooden" trim is made of paper

The fascia boards behind my gutters and other trim on my 1968 home (built by Levitt & Sons) look like wood but actually are pressed paper, sized to standard lumber dimensions. With the paint removed, the paper looks like the facing on sheetrock.

What is this stuff? Is it still available for cheapskate builders to use today?

Actually, it has held up well for 36 years. Had previous owners maintained it well(painting it promptly when needed), it would probably still be okay today. But the paint has peeled, and the paper is damp. Even when dried, it can't be sanded like wood. So I'll probably just remove it and replace it with real wood, unless someone has other suggestions.

Some of the fascia boards behind the gutters are not vertical, but are sloped backwards at the bottom as much as 26 degrees. (That's a 2" gap between the bottom of the 4" gutter and the fascia.) So even if I remove the gutters, scraped all the peeling paint off (which will also remove some of the paper), let the paper thoroughly dry, prime and paint it, and rehang the gutter, surface blemishes on the fascia will still be visible.

Thanks for any suggestions, though I'm mainly trying to get information on what the fake boards are, and warn others that they exist.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

[...]

Ray Kostanty

I don't know, but I looked at a brick home built in 1965 and its garage was make out of what looked like paper. The layers were separating and it was disintegrating. I took a pass a bought a home built in 1910.

I am no housing expert, but maybe it is time for some vinyl or aluminum soffet trim. A coworker just had replacement windows installed and had all the wood trim around his windows clad in aluminum so he no longer has to paint it.

Reply to
David Efflandt

You might want to look into Plasticlad trimboards. I got a sample mailed to me and it doesn't look too bad. Not sure of the cost. Supposed to cut and handle like regular wood. Same saws to cut it and all. They claim no water problems, no pests will eat it, can be painted but it comes in white.

Anyone out there had any experience with this? Here's the site

Mike

Reply to
oo Mike oo

Thanks for the lead, Mike.