How to fix a sqeeky storm door?

I tried using oil to lubricate the hinge, but did not help.

Reply to
lbbss

I tried oil, too, and it didn't help so I sprayed with WD-40 and it stopped the squeak. Many times the squeak is caused by improper alignment due to shifting of the wood thereby placing stress on the hinge. Assuming you have three hinges, loosen the screws to the center hinge. If that stops the noise, consider removing screws, fill holes, and move hinge a little for better alignment.

Bob

Reply to
rck

Several possibilities. It may not be the hinges that are squeaking. The screws holding them, if not tight, can do it as can weather stripping. I also suggest that oil may not be the best choice for lubing hinges. I suggest removing the pin (one at a time makes it easier) cleaning everything and using a white lithium grease or powered graphite.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Jist a WAG, but if there's a pnuematic spring operated closer on the door maybe the squeek's coming from it and not the hinges?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

First use your ears to find out where the noise is coming from.

Reply to
Matt