Blue LED night lites from the Dollar Store

Page 1 of 3
Andy writes: I recently bought some blue LED nite lights from our local Dollar Store ( for $1 USD each ) and find that , while they don't give out as much light as the 5 or 7 watt nitelights I have been using, they are perfectly adequate for keeping me from stumping my toe on the dresser on the way to the bathroom at 2 am......
They are advertised to draw only 0.4 watts ... That would mean if plugged in 24 hours a day, they would cost me only 35 cents a year ( 10 cents per kwh ) . I kind of like that...
So I took one apart and made a schematic. The limiting is done by a series capacitor.... I then fed the network into a PSPICE simulator and checked out the claim..... Truly, it uses only 0.4 watts of real power.....
I went back and bought a sackfull..... If anyone else has experience with these items, please post your experience....
Sure, the light is weird ( kind of cool, actually ) and it is only useful if you have been in a dark room for a few minutes, but that is nomally the case for our household.....
Andy in Eureka, P.E.
PS If anyone is interested, I can Email you the schematic.....

Can't find a link for the darn luminescent night light we have had going for more than 20 years. It is a 2" diameter flat disc in a very thin housing that glows blueish/tealish at night. The info on it is Intermatic Inc, GN GOOD NITE LITE, E 187141, Model GN141, UL listed 8G25 and ML-003, Made in Taiwan.
--
Best regards
Han

Andy comments,
Han, I have seen those electroluminscent lights... The blue LED puts out a lot more light.... If you like your electros, you would LOVE the blue LEDs..... I don't know the power your electro uses, but I'm sure it is quite small.... I have used that technology for backlighting displays in the past..... I found that they are great for marking a place on the wall, but don't put a lot of light out into the room to avoid stepping on the grandaughter's roller skate in the middle of the hallway... .... :>)))))
Thanks for the reply.
Andy in Eureka , P.E.

You're welcome, Andy. We just use it to reference the toiletseat ....
--
Best regards
Han

Hmm, did I just hear BLUE LED TOILET SEAT?
Hot damn:
http://www.kiss-textil.de/galactikaen.htm
--
Dan Espen

On Sep 18, 5:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Andy comments;
Des, I'm pretty sure that Han's wife made him put the light in so he could have better aim at night, and not wake her up by turning on the bathroom light......
Been there, done that... :>)))))
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Try this:
http://www.trendir.com/archives/000257.html
LEDs built into kitchen and bathroom faucets are way cooler than lighted toilet seats:
http://uuldesign.com/home-interior/sinks-and-vessels/chrome-kitchen-faucet-with-illuminated-led-of-rolux /
=======Another innovative design of kitchen faucet that has illuminated LED lighting. This mood lighting is come from nozzle head through the water flow. The LED has manual light switch. Contemporary convenience from the combined water and lighting that will give your bathroom an interesting looks. This faucet with LED is one of Franke Rolux kitchen product. This design is available in steel chrome and also black. Pull out the faucet head and the light goes where you need it, along with the water flows a pot or hosing the place down after dinner. =======

http://uuldesign.com/home-interior/sinks-and-vessels/chrome-kitchen-faucet-with-illuminated-led-of-rolux /
Got to have this stuff.
I'm thinking kitchen faucet first.
Wife is not going to like this...
--
Dan Espen

On 9/19/2011 12:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I've got a showerhead that lights up the water in a stream of multi-colors. The (non-LED) lights are powered by the water running through the showerhead. It's fun.
writes:

heh,I was thinking these guys must like to change batteries,with all those LED lights in their fixtures;lots of little coin cells.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Aiming is too much trouble. Sitting is more relaxing. Damn prostate ... <BIG grin>
--
Best regards
Han

I have taken to sitting down for the 2 am potty run. I have always left the light off for this event. Give it a try.
Mike
On 9/18/2011 10:55 AM, Han wrote:

You had much better luck than me. We had at least 4 different versions of the type of night light you described. All slowly burned out block by block. I replaced them with the LED versions.

This thing has been in constant use for at least 20 years. LEDs didn't exist,at least not publicly available, when we bought them (another one is still in storage somewhere).
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/18/2011 1:55 PM, Han wrote:

Not claiming you should have bought LED versions back then just mentioning that I saw poor results with the devices you mentioned. And come to think of it they are gone from the various other places I have seen them being used.
Yours seems to be a lot like that light bulb in the NYC firehouse that has been burning for the last 89 years (or whatever).
Andy wrote:

Hi, Limiting by series capacitor? Prices of those will come down further with time for sure.

A small capacitor will have a very high resistance (Impedance) at 60 Hz, so it is effective. The LED probably only needs about 50 - 100 milliamperes, and no power is lost in the capacitor, so everything works great.
On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:47:09 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

100mA would be about .3-.4W dissipated by the diode (Vf=3-4V @100mA), so you're in the ballpark.
On Sep 18, 11:03 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Andy comments:
Yeah.. It seems that the power factor shift ( around 80 deg from memory, but don't hold me to it ) means that the power is reactive, and doesn't register on the TXU meter..... That's how I figured it ...
Andy in Eureka, PE