Blocking in a basement window.

Hello. I have a small basment window I want to block in. It measures 2'x2'x8". It is mostly below ground level so there is a window well. Seems like it should be simple enough. I do have a few questions though. Should I use mortar mix or masonary cement? Do I need to do something to tie the new blocks together with the old? On the outside should I do anything to water proof it? Anything else I need to be concerned with? Any other thoughts?? Thanks much for your input.

why are you blocking it? might be code issues with egress ingress in a fire, need a little natural light, and if you ever need to work or paint the basement ventilation is critical.
glass blocks might be a better option. and remember security wise most burglars would prefer to kick in a door than muck about climbing thru a window. burglars are lazy wand will pick the easy fast bucks first
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:36:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Before I moved in 25 years ago, there was a string of burglaries here, by some skinny burglar who would get in through our basement windows which are about a foot high, all just above ground level.
Everyone put in universal bars, that adjust to width and have two bars going from side to middle and from middle to the ohter side. Lag screws into the window frame, but sliding window still opened/
That was the end of the burglaries.
I would block out windows either, like you say, light, air, etc.

Oops. I would NOT block out or block in windows either.

This is not meant to be a jab, but if you are asking whether you should use mortar or portland cement, you probably don't have the basic skills to do this job.
That said, you need to use mortar mix rated for use below grade, and you should use a tar or "foundation coating" over it. You are going to have a devil of a time buttering up the blocks with mortar, and then keeping the mortar on the block as you piece the project together. It is much harder than it appears.
JK

Step one, make sure it is not a code violation. Step two: What are the blocks made of? Glass, wood, cement????
On Aug 13, 7:49am, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

I want to put in concret blocks. I have several other windows in the basement for light and ventilation. The window well will be filled and landscaping done. My concern is that over time the pressure on the outside might push my work in.

Start with step #1 make sure you follow local code. Trust me, it pays off in the long run.
They job you are doing is not really hard, but it has to be done right and a lot of that "right" is based on "feel" learned by experience working with someone who knows what they are doing. how are you at cutting blocks if you need to?
I am not saying you can't do the job yourself, but I have seen people fail on this one. It looks easier than it is.
BTW masonary cement is part of a mortar mix.