Blocking a basement window

I want to block up a basement window. It is below a deck and is of no use.

My question is should I remove the window or take it out?

Reply to
big red

oops, I mean should I remove the window or leave it in?

Reply to
big red

oops, I mean should I remove the window or leave it in?

Reply to
big red

Yes. Wait, no.

OK, I know what you mean.

There is no real reason to remove it unless it is wood frame and rotted. Just make a frame for the inside with insulation and cover it. Depending on accessibility, you can do the same for the outside. If you leave it in, some day if the window is needed, it will be there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have the same situation you do. My 2 basement windows are below a deck. When I had new windows put in my house, I also changed those 2 windows. I'm glad I did. Even though I have 2 other basement windows that are unobstructed, the 2 windows under the deck can still be opened if I need to. Plus, what I plan to do in the future is put lattice around my deck instead of 1X6 that are there now, so I can see in my backyard from the basement window to look for the kids. The replacement windows are cheap enough, probably easier than to block the windows. Also you have a means of egress in case of an emergency.

Reply to
Mikepier

no. leave it. windows are in your building code for illumination and ventilation.

Reply to
buffalobill