drywall repair cost

My home was wrecked by wilma. I am trying to develop repair estimates. We have older plaster walls and need to replace -with drywall- everything from 4 foot down. Can anyone give me an estimate per square foot on such work? Thanks

Reply to
wilmasurvivor

consider replacement instead with the newer cement board which will not allow mold growth like the plasterboard does in its paper covering. behind those damaged walls lies the unknown mold growth and hidden pipes and wiring. this is where an estimate may wind up with add-ons. in buffalo ny you would be thrilled to find a good carpenter at $250 per 8-hour day labor plus all parts. expect to pay more than this if you haven't known the carpenter for 20 years or if parts or labor are in short supply. subject to your family needs, i would predict the longer you can wait the cheaper the labor will be as the repairs get caught up in your area. home depot or lowe's can deliver what materials you need. or they can do all the work.

also
i know it may not have been in the original house plan, but it is a great opportunity to add see thru fireplaces, french doors, room-to-room windows, etc. and make your home more inviting.

Reply to
buffalobill

Doing just the lower 4' could be problematic. If the original plaster thickness isn't the same as your drywall thickness then shimming will be required. this would add time and labor expense. May be cheaper to do entire wall. Materials are cheap relative to labor. I good drywall crew could do an entire room in less time than it would take them to marry the new and old and make it look right. No price estimates per say but around here independent drywall finishers start at $35/hour plus materials. (PA)

Reply to
No