Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Page 2 of 3

And aren't they constantly rebuilding them?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!

I'm not aware of any place where they "seal coat" either roads or parking lots - the closest thing that comes to "sealing" is when they apply a TOP COAT of gravel and asphalt to a gravel road (and there are not too many of those left around specifically because of the high cost of this type of maintenance).
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:21:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invlaid.net wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the time'?
It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

morning.

Done all the time here in NC......and talk about slick when wet..
but seriously..it IS a common practice here..
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:22:52 -0700, "CBHvac"

I've been living in NC (Triangle).

Central NC..bit west of you. Hell..when I was in Raliegh, several of the lots there were sealed...one or two on Capital come to mind right off, and thats cause when I was there for a training class, when we broke for lunch, I was able to slide the van around like it had casters on it in the rain..

Here in MN, parking lots are done all the time. I've even seen roads done -- in fact, there's a county road with signs labeled "Seal Coat Test #12345(whatever)" very near where I live.
-Tim

There's also a section of interstate between St Paul and St Cloud that has this done. It's also listed as a Test Road.
NOI

The two issues that cause road problems in colder climates: utility cuts and patches; frost heaves. Sealing a roadway will do nothing to help with frost heaves that raise sections several inches. The do seal the cracks resulting from the frost heaves on some roads but this is done with a tar based "crack filler" applied just to the cracks, not as a surface treatment.
I've seen entire parking lots sealed but it's done for cosmetic reasons, the same as most driveways.
Bob
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:39:46 GMT, 'nuther Bob

I'm not sure what you mean by 'cosmetic'. Doesn't cosmetic mean there are minor defects?...which will accelerate into major defects?...unless repaired when they are minor.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!

When speaking of driveway sealer and sealing of parking lots cosmetic means exactly what the Merriam-Webster definition says:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:44:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

So how come those of use in the freeze thaw states don't see every parking lot out there being sealed. The only time I see it is when they are looking to dress up the appearance or move the parking space alignment. Otherwise it doesn't happen. Must be a big secret that it's so effective - they don't even share it with businesses who could buy the service.
There are parking lots that have crack sealer applied to the major cracks, just like the roads. No surface sealers.
Bob
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:39:56 GMT, 'nuther Bob

Many do. It's a choice the owner of the lot can make.

Maybe it's a cost they are not willing to pay at the time.. A phrase comes to mind. "You can pay me now, or pay me later"

If they were smart they would use crack sealer along with seal-cote.
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:05:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Sorry, not buying it. If they could demonstrate a cost effective benefit, you'd see them selling a lot more services. I can drive all over New England and find nary a sealed lot.
Bob
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:22:52 GMT, 'nuther Bob

That doesn't say much for your skills of observation. I live in Connecticut and it's a very widespread and common practice. Most of the guys who do private driveways do it as a side business, using leftovers from commercial jobs.
BB
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:32:10 GMT, BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com wrote:

And do they also sell bridges they have on hand in Brooklyn? The left over from commercial jobs is the oldest line in the scam artists work book - it is the anthem of the "Irish Travelers" as they wend their way across the northern US every spring through summer!
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:09:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invlaid.com wrote:

That must be why the guys who did my driveway showed up with a large truck with a 500 gallon tank of sealer and a huge gas powered compressor on the back. Yep, you must be right.
BB
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:22:52 GMT, 'nuther Bob

I think my driveway is proof enough. 17 years and counting. I've have neighbors who have the same age or newer driveways and they did nothing to them. They have or are now getting new driveways. It looks like I may get another 10 years or so out of mine.